The Liberty University CFAW Survival Handbook

Preparing you for every scenario you might face during infamous CFAW weekends

523
Liberty University

It happens twice every single semester and yet, somehow, it always comes as a surprise. One minute you're out enjoying a crisp and cool February morning, casually wondering why the Rot food has started to taste better when, all of a sudden, you're surrounded by a group of lanyard-wearing 14-year-olds asking you to point them towards the DeMoss building.

What's going on? Who are these small children and what are those dirty, blue mats they're carrying around?

Then it dawns on you. Cold terror grips your heart and you realize that CFAW weekend has officially arrived.

CFAW affects us all and we all have different ways of dealing with the common problems that arise during the busy weekend. Here's a compilation of some of the best practices that you should employ in order to temper the storm:

1. How to spot a CFAW

Step 1: Look for the lanyard.
There's no better way to tell that you're looking at a CFAWer than by spotting the infamous lanyard that all of them carry. Most will wear it proudly, keeping it around their neck for the world to see. However, in recent years, some CFAWs have started to get tricky, trying to casually blend in with the rest of the student body by sticking the lanyard in their back pocket, or worse - the backpack they're carrying around. But, like a bad tattoo, they can't hide it forever. If you're suspicious of a student, watch them carefully and eventually they'll expose they're lanyard and, thus, their true identity.

Step 2: Look for freshly-bought Liberty apparel.
Most CFAWs will raid the bookstore upon their arrival at Liberty, so keep an eye out for school clothes that look too new to be worn by a broke college student.

Step 3: Look for parents.
Parents bring their children to CFAW to allow them to experience college for a weekend. Yet many choose to stick around campus and experience college alongside their kids. This being the case, if you're ever suspicious of a CFAW, just look for their parents. They're rarely far behind.

2. How to avoid getting a BFAW or GFAW (Boyfriend/Girlfriend for a weekend)

Every semester at least one unlucky soul with have his or her heart broken when they realize that the person they've been crushing on the past three days was actually a CFAW. Avoid falling into this trap by asking yourself these simple questions.

Question 1: Do you see a lanyard?
Answer: If yes, they're too young for you. If no, look harder.

Question 2: Did they just call the Rot "the Reber Thomas Dining Hall"?
Answer: If yes, they're too young for you.

Question 3: Are they wearing an "I Heart Liberty" shirt?

Question 4: Did they just ask you for directions to DeMoss Hall?

3. How to get seats for convo

The Vines Center fills up incredibly quickly during CFAW weekend, follow the Liberty Flames motto to make sure you can secure a seat.

Step 1: BE EARLY.
This is by far the most important thing you can do to make sure you have a place to sit. Try to arrive at Vines no later than 10:15 any later and seats will become increasingly hard to find. As soon as you find a row of seats that are clear, drape your jacket over the ones that you need.

Step 2: BE LOUD.
Don't be afraid to tell people you're saving the seats they're trying to take.

Step 3: WEAR RED.
Really, there's no practical reason to do this, but the color red has been shown to repel CFAWs in the past, so it never hurts.

4. How to give CFAWs clear directions

Step 1: Decipher where they want to go.

CFAWs don't know the campus like the students do and haven't quite caught on to the lingo that we take for granted around here. That being the case, expect them to use the formal title of every building they're trying to find (Ex. The Reber-Thomas Dining Hall, Religion Hall, Green Hall, etc).

Step 2: Keep the directions simple.
Give the CFAW the most direct path to their location. Avoid telling them about shortcuts or tricks of the trade that you've picked up over the time you've been here as it'll likely be more confusing than helpful. And, in the name of all that is holy, don't lead them to the fourth floor of DeMoss. To this day there are CFAWS from past semesters wandering the halls, desperately trying to find their way out.

Step 3: When in doubt, point them to the four most popular locations on campus.
There may be a time when you simply cannot understand where a CFAW is trying to go. If this happens to be the case, don't panic, just give them directions to one of the four biggest buildings at LU:

a. DeMoss

b. Vines

c. North/Green Hall

d. The library

5. How to drive on campus

Step 1: Don't drive unless you absolutely have to.
Stepping foot into a vehicle during CFAW weekend just isn't generally a good idea. Not only will you lose your coveted parking space before you can utter the words, "Ring by spring," but it'll probably take you about as long to drive through campus as it would to walk or take a bus.

Step 2: Leave early.
If you must drive, expect it to take you about 10-15 minutes longer to get to your destination, 20 if you're planning on braving the roundabout.

Step 3: Use backroads.
Basically, avoid driving on University Boulevard whenever possible.

Step 4: Stay calm.
Lost people drive slow, it's just the way it is. Tailgating, revving your engine and honking your horn won't magically impart directions to these confused drivers, so there's really no point in doing it. If you're feeling exceptionally frustrated

6. How to remove a CFAW from your seat in class

Step 1: Assert your dominance.
Walk up to the CFAW and kindly, yet firmly, inform them that they are sitting in your spot.

Step 2: Initiate stare down.
It is likely to be awkward for a second or two while the CFAW decides whether or not they're going to give up the seat they're sitting in. Do not back down. Look deep into the youngling's eyes and communicate, non-verbally, that you're in this for the long-haul.

Step 3: Initiate desk flip.
If you sense the CFAW is planning to rebel against your request, simply grab the desk they're sitting in and flip it. You must move quickly, otherwise, they'll attempt to fight back and getting beat up by a CFAW will not look good on your resume.

7. How to keep a CFAW from taking your food

Step 1: Don't let them find your stash.
Maybe it's the pantry, maybe it's the bottom drawer of your desk or maybe it's that dark corner in your closet. We all have that one place where we keep all of our most valued possessions, aka our most delicious food. Be wise when you access this sacred stash. Check your surroundings and make sure your CFAW isn't watching.

NOTE: If your CFAW happens to see where you keep your stash, DO NOT say, "Help yourself," or something along those lines. By feeding your guest your choicest morsels, you're only encouraging them to return. Rather if your hiding place is ousted, simply move it to a new location in the dead of night when everyone is asleep.

Step 2: Don't eat your personal food around CFAWs.
As bees are attracted to honey, so CFAWs are attracted to your food. While it may be tempting to pull out a candy bar to snack on while you walk around the room, you're simply inviting thievery from your young guest.

Step 3: Purchase some inexpensive food items to quell the cravings of your guest.
A cheap bag of store-brand chips that you keep in the center of your room will be sure to attract the attention of your CFAW and keep them off the scent of your true treasure.

8. How to make sure CFAWs have a great LU experience

Step 1: Be kind.
All jokes aside, as hosts we all have an enormous influence on how our CFAWs view Liberty University. We can make or break their experience all depending on how we treat them. So let's be kind, let's be helpful and let's be generous to our guests. They're only here for three days and we can stand to be inconvenienced if it means we're adding to the Liberty family.

Happy surviving!