How A Life-Threatening Accident Changed This Family's Life Forever | The Odyssey Online

How A Life-Threatening Accident Changed This Family's Life Forever

An introduction to the Helm's family tragedy and how you can support them

30
Mikayla Helms

It's so easy to get caught up in the chaos of our own lives. We have a million thoughts running through our head while we go about the day. What am I going to make for dinner? I have to remember to pay that bill. When we're thinking about our own concerns, we never think to expect the worst: What if my family and I get into a life changing car accident today? Tragedies like car wrecks and hospital visits are never planned, but when they happen we're left to pick up the pieces.

On Sunday, October 23rd a friend and co-work of mine Mikayla Helms experienced a horrible, traumatic car wreck. She was hit by a drunk driver who ran a red light, she was in the car with her 10-month-old son, Albert, and her two friends Samantha Herzig and Charlie Young. Samantha did not survive the crash, and Charlie was in a medically induced coma. I'm at a loss for words, there is no way to describe the heartbreak I feel for all of the families involved. In an instant, everything can change and your worst nightmare can become a reality.

I know to most people these are just names in an article, but I'm asking everyone to put yourself in the position of the victims involved. Car crashes happen every day, and it isn't until it's our sister, mother, son, brother, or friend that we really realize how precious life is and how we shouldn't take moments for granted. I'm so glad that Mikayla and her son are okay, but I hate that they are now plagued with both the memory and the aftermath of an accident that could have been avoided. I don't understand why awful things happen to such good people, and I'm sure that since the accident that, Mikayla, her family, and the other victim's families have been thinking the same thing. It's questions like this that I don't have an answer for, but I do know one thing: even though bad things sometimes happen to good people, it takes other good people to lend a hand in tough times.

Mikayla is left to cope with the loss of her friend and take care of her four-year-old daughter and 10-month-old son as if nothing is wrong even though she is in an immense amount of pain. She has the support of her husband, Aaron, but when he is at work she has to be strong for her babies and push through her injuries. She has two broken ribs, a bruised lung, two broken transverse process bones on her spine, ligament damage in her neck, and a damaged right hip. Her son has a broken femur on his left leg and has to wear a cast, though he is smiling and bringing joy to everyone in a time when it is needed most .

I don't usually ask people for anything, but this family is strong and they're going through a terrible time. I write articles for the Odyssey every week, but this one by far is the closest to my heart. Mikayla's coworkers were kind enough to start a fundraising page for her and her family to help with the expenses from the accident. I'm asking you all to take a minute from the chaos of your own lives to help someone who's life was changed forever. Anything helps, this family is extremely grateful and will appreciate any donation or act of kindness that is given to them. The link to her page is https://www.youcaring.com/mikayla-helms-678884 . I didn't know Samantha Herzig, but from the overwhelming amount of support shown on Facebook I can tell that she was very loved. Please also look at the fundraiser page made for her that will cover funeral costs and other expenses her family has https://www.gofundme.com/funeral-costs-for-samanth... . I appreciate everyone taking the time to read this, and I hope you can find it in your heart to show some kindness to someone who is a great mother and person.