The Glory Days | The Odyssey Online

The Glory Days

Happy Retirement, Abby

8
The Glory Days

Unless you live under a rock, you probably know that the soccer legend, Abby Wambach, retired after one of the most brilliant soccer careers. She is a two-time Olympic gold medalist and a FIFA Women's World Cup Champion. She also holds the world record for most international goals at 184. If you do not know that much about Abby, I'm sure you heard about her 122nd minute goal in the 2011 FIFA Women's World Cup match against Brazil. This was arguably the greatest moment in women's soccer, and an image that still causes chills.

I grew up a soccer player starting at the age of 5. It was my life until I fully committed to softball at 16, but I never lost my connection with my first love. I still watch professional soccer and every game of the Olympics and the FIFA Men's and Women's World Cup, and follow the Women's national team closely. I grew up loving Abby Wambach and she became an inspiration to me along with the rest of the national team.

Like any soccer fan, I dreamed of the day I would be able to see my idols play on the field in person. I watched their whole journey to the final game of the 2015 FIFA Women's World Cup, and wished I had the chance to travel to Canada.

On Aug. 16, 2015 I would get to finally see the team that inspired me my whole life. I drove five hours to Heinz Field, the home of the Pittsburg Steelers, in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania to see the Victory Tour match against Costa Rica.

I honestly could not control myself and felt like a kid in a candy store. I could not focus on anything, and kept gazing around in complete awe. I videotaped everything, and well, I may or may not have lost my cool when Abby came into the game.

She came in late in the game, and while I didn't expect much from her, I was thrilled I finally got to see the legend take the field. But Abby always finds a way to make her presence on the field noticed and not much longer after she came in, she surprised us all with one of her famous headers, which of course I happened to get on camera. As cliche as it sounds, it was a moment I will never forget.

I just wanted to say thank you Abby for being an inspiration, to everyone. Thank you for making me become the athlete I am today. Thank you for all the years you spent representing our country. Thank you for creating a legacy that we can all tell our kids about. Thank you for helping me keep my first love of soccer with me, forever. Enjoy retirement, you deserve it.