The Day I Said Good-Bye To My Best Friend | The Odyssey Online

The Day I Said Good-Bye To My Best Friend

I know you're watching from up above and I would do anything to have you back.

27
Alexis Wheatley

On a rainy Tuesday morning, I was driving the van headed to the next stop for my delivery route. Blank Space by Taylor Swift was on- I had it on the highest volume possible. As I was singing along to that catchy song, I got a call. It was my boyfriend and he asked if I was still planing on coming over. I told him that I was and that’s when I knew something was wrong. As I was about to hang up he told me to be safe and what ever I do, do not look at social media. I said my good-byes and wondered why? Why can’t I check the latest tweets, why can’t I share my favorite Buzzfeed video with my friends? And then it came, a text from my high school best friend that had me dumbfounded. Her words were so clear but at the same time I had no idea what she was saying. She told me you died. She said you were in a car accident and you didn't make it. As I sat in the car shaking, I looked out the window tears rolling down my blank face, what happened? We were just talking not even a few days ago. I felt lost, hopeless and devastated.

I called the only person who would know what to do, my mom. She calmed me down and confirmed the god awful truth. You were speeding and hit a pole and there was nothing left to do besides call the T.O.D. I had so many emotions going through my head when I realized the impossible, you were gone and there was nothing I could do.

You were my best friend and my partner in crime, nothing came between us. You made me laugh when I needed it most. You got me in trouble with every note we passed. You spoke highly of me when no one else did, and most importantly, you were a friend to me when I had lost all hope.

It has been two years since the world lost you and with every day passing it truly does get a little easier. I remember you for the kind man you were to those around you and for you’re terrible cooking abilities. I remember you for the nights we should have spent at home but instead went out on the town. I remember you for all the Taco Bell runs and the classes that we skipped. I remember you for being my best friend.

While time goes on, I still think of you everyday and how different my life would be if you were still here. How you would have helped me through some rough decisions and you would be here cheering me on. You would stand by my side no matter the issue and be that friend I really needed. I still like to think that you walk this Earth, and a little part of me believes that is what makes the grieving easier. I feel your warmth in your old sweatshirt every time I put it on, I see your face in the birds and I hear your voice in the wind telling me everything will get better. I know you're watching from up above and I would do anything to have you back. You were taken way too soon but that doesn’t fight the fact that I still love you and I hope too see you again.