The City I Hated

The City I Hated

My hate to love adventure with New York City

19
The City I Hated
wall.alphacoders

New York City is seen as the epicenter of the world. The countless skyscrapers and flashing lights from Times Square give the city an alluring and classy vibe that people can just never get enough of.

It’s the “city that never sleeps”. It’s the financial capital of the world. It’s the place to be. Even creations like the Statue of Liberty and the Empire State Building are seen as symbols of the nation and attract tourists from the all around the world.

But what makes it so appealing? It’s because we as people love treating the city like an unexplored world. It’s exciting and empowering to walk around the streets feeling like we’re relevant, being in a city that every person in the world has heard of.

But I used to hate New York City.

When I was around 14 years old, my dad got a new job in the city and I remember visiting him because it was the first time I really went to New York City. But as I entered Manhattan, I was already getting annoyed.

Taxi drivers kept shouting, people were cutting us off on the streets, I got a headache from all the smells and was praying to get to the hotel as soon as possible to get away from the hectic environment.

People seemed to be in a rush at every corner. Some guy hit my shoulder when we passed Broadway, my legs were sore from walking everywhere, and I just wanted something to eat. But getting food would only require more walking.

I had seen so many movies that took place in NYC. I remember watching the first Spider-Man movie and watching Spidey swing from building to building. He would swing so high that he would oversee Manhattan and I would watch in awe of how grand the city looked. If Spider-Man lived there, it had to be good.

But to me, I left the city with a bad taste in my mouth. It was too much hustle and bustle. The people were crazy and loud. And you have to walk forever just to get to a good restaurant. What’s so great about it? I just didn’t get it.

It was only when I started to attend college that I saw how amazing the city really is. Being with friends and unwinding during our weekly visits to NYC made me appreciate all sorts of things including the architecture, transportation, and liveliness.

My problem was that I wasn’t open-minded. I was used to Boston’s more passive and relaxing nature but that doesn’t mean I should insult a city because it’s different. But now that I’ve seen the beauty NYC offers, I understand what makes it a pillar of our nation.

While the hustle and bustle is what turned me off from the city, it’s something that has grown on me. It makes it feels like NYC is breathing through the energy of each person. Whether it’s walking past rushing businessmen or watching a street performer, I can’t help but smile from all life in the air.

Even the simple things like the grid system and design of the NYC subway system impress me. I was definitely lost with it at first but after navigating on my own a couple times, I began to pick up on it fairly quickly, transforming my anxiety to an appreciation of the system.

Sure, NYC isn’t for everybody. However, it’s important to give each place a couple chances to show you what it offers. Your perspective might change and give you the opportunity to be part of a beautiful and lively atmosphere.