The Break Up Letter

The Break Up Letter

This is hard and maybe not the smartest way to tell you, but please know that it's true.

76
The Break Up Letter

I am not the kind of girl who posts every single personal detail about her life on Facebook and I am not the kind of girl who is willing to tell all of her drama to a perfect stranger. This article is a little crazy for me, but I feel like it needs to be written. This is my breakup letter. This isn't going to be like Andy's article about Ben from How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days because you and I were going on two years and you are not going to come looking for me after you read this, but I want you to know a few things, in case you weren't aware.

I want you to know that I hope you are happy. I hope you are happy at this moment and I hope you stay happy for the rest of your foreseeable future as well. I want you to do well in life and I want nice things for you. I want every single dream that you spoke of to all come true and I want you to have the fancy house and cars that you described to me. I want you to have a sweet and very beautiful wife. I hope you have a gorgeous daughter someday and a son whose name starts with a C. I know you'll make an amazing father. I hope I'm not the devil in all the anecdotes you tell your future family. I hope you know that I treated you as well as I knew how to and that I loved you. I loved you so much that it scared me. I loved every crazy adventure that we had. I loved getting sushi in the pouring rain and I loved the spontaneous long drives at night. I loved the way you smiled at me and kept me safe. Do not for a single moment think that I didn't.

I want you to know that there's a hole now. A big gaping hole and every time that I see something I think you'd like or every time I see a video of food being made or just a picture of a French Bulldog, I think of you and take a moment considering whether I should send it to you. But as you've noticed, I never do. I hope you know that I didn't just stop thinking about you. You were a large portion of my life and dropping you would be way too hard. You may hate me or be really mad or feel nothing at all about me anymore, but just know I didn't make an easy decision and I don't want to be the bad guy. I want you to know that since I "couldn't just talk" to you about it that you deserve better and that someday you will find her. I want you to know that I really did believe we would grow together and get married one day and all of the promises that I made you, I meant. I do not want you to ever feel like anything was a lie, because it never was.

Please believe me when I say I will miss you. We might not be meant to spend the rest of our lives together, but I will always think of you when I see a french bulldog or tortellini or various other things that stick out as things that strictly you like. You were the first boyfriend to ever treat me right and to be there for me and I appreciate you. Thank you.