The Best Ways To Get Rid Of The Winter Blues | The Odyssey Online

The Best Ways To Get Rid Of The Winter Blues

20

Feeling down? Struggling to get out of bed more? Eating more carbohydrates than usual? Have the inability to concentrate? If you say yes to them all, then you are experiencing the symptoms of seasonal affective disorder or SAD.The most common type of SAD is winter depression or winter blues. Winter blues occurs in the fall season and it results in the change in seasons and lack of sunlight. Daylight savings has started, which resulted in shorter days and longer nights. According to WebMD, some people who are predisposed to depression may be more likely to develop an episode when less sunlight occurs. The National Institutes of Health also estimated that more than 36 million Americans suffer from seasonal depression that occurs in the fall. The other type of season depression is in the summer season.

Depression is no joke, so here are six tips to help you feel better this winter and to get rid of your winter blues for a better body, mind, and soul.

1. Expose yourself to sunlight

This is the most important thing you should do. An easy way to access this is to go outside. Try to catch the sun by taking a morning walk or sitting outside with a hot cup of tea. Light works as an antidepressant by boosting serotonin to the brain. With this in mind, find ways to be around as much light as possible. In order to not feel gloom and doom light will always be there to take away the darkness.

2. Be active

Try to remain active and social during the winter months. Bundling up in giant blankets and staying inside isn't bad, but not moving the body and getting exercise now and then could trigger depression. A few recommendations would be going to parties, hanging with friends, ice skating, skiing, and attending any social events and club activities to remain active. Exercising at the gym, dancing, and yoga are other ways to get the body moving.

3. Maintain a sleep schedule

One of the symptoms would be an increased need for sleep. As days start to end at 4 p.m., laying in bed all day could bring not only guilt but the motivation to not do anything. Sleep schedules could get off balance with the longer nights but getting sufficient sleep and maintaining how much sleep you get could make your mood brighter. Especially on school nights, sleep could be a big factor on how you function and work the day afterwards. Eight to 10 hours of sleep are preferred to function best for young adults.

4. Start a gratitude journal

The cold could dampen the mood some, but writing down the positives of life and what you're thankful could change the way you see the day and increase how you feel about life in general. Start in the morning and remember to take a glance once in a while during the day to remind yourself on what you have and that life isn't bad at all.

5. Eat healthy

The weather is blah, so you start to eat blah. It's better to avoid caffeine and junk food during the winter as not only are you more likely to gain weight but it also makes you more tired and sluggish. Try to eat more vegetables and fruits and incorporate complex carbohydrates such as rice and whole wheat bread. Not only is eating healthy good for your body but your response to activities like studying for exams. Remember to drink a lot of water as well!

6. Reach out

Professionals and therapists are always there if you need them. If you feel like you want to talk or need other alternatives to help you get through this winter, try reaching out to those willing to hear and help you. Friends and family could also be willing to give you a helping hand if the climate has got you down.