The Best Snack Options for Those Constantly on the Go - The Odyssey Online

The Best Snack Options for Those Constantly on the Go

What we think might be healthy may actually be the opposite

11
Epicurrence

If you’re anything like me, you’re constantly on the go—busy class schedules, work, hanging out with friends, etc. In being busy all of the time, I struggle with finding snack foods that I can take with me quickly, but will also be healthy. Usually, I try to have snack bars on hand that I know will sustain me long enough until it’s time for lunch or dinner; however, recently I discovered that some of my favorite bars and snack items are actually not as beneficial health wise as I had originally thought. For example, one of my favorites that I recently discovered (but is now being put to rest) is the Luna Bar. While it may be true that they are organic, gluten free and provide protein, these bars have more sugar than both protein and fiber combined, and are filled with process soy in many forms. Despite the fact that these are super easy to grab and take with on the go, putting a little extra effort and thought into what types of snack you are taking along can be very beneficial for your health in the long run. With that in mind, these are some of my newest favorite snacks that hit the mark for being both easy to grab and also healthy.

1. Small to-go containers of hummus with rice chips or sweet potato chips

One of my new found favorite hummus brands is the Eat Well Embrace Life brand, particularly the Zesty Sriracha Carrot Hummus kind. This hummus is made without GMO’s, it’s low in fat and it’s jam packed with Vitamin A and fiber. What more could you ask for? Another reason I love this brand is every ingredient listed in the hummus is something I can both pronounce and know exactly what it is, translating to a healthy snack option. Typically, I pair this with rice chips or sweet potato chips, such as the Food Should Taste Good brand.

2. Fruit

This is, in my opinion, one of the easiest things to take with you with just a small amount of prep work. Some of my all-time favorite fruits to take with me on the go are blackberries and raspberries. All berries are great sources of fiber that help beat hunger. In particular, raspberries have more fiber than 4 slices of whole-grain bread in just one cup! Along with satisfying hunger, many berries are high in antioxidants, which promote healthy skin and immune support. So why wouldn’t you want to grab these as a snack? If you’re taking these to go in the morning, just prep at night and leave in the refrigerator for easy access the next day.

3. Nuts

This snack option is packed with filling protein, unsaturated fats, fiber and important vitamins and minerals in just one handful. However, despite all of the added health benefits, you need to look out for over consumption and also being mindful of choosing nut options without the added sodium. Due to their small size, it may seem difficult to limit your serving portion to only a handful or less, but less is definitely more in this case. In addition, picking nut options without additional ingredients is the way to go because all of the added sodium can weigh out the positives for their nutritional benefits.

4. Almond milk

It might seem odd to consider a drink as a snack, but sometimes I feel a quick to-go container of almond milk gives me the same benefits as eating food. Almond milk, in particular, is packed with all types of vitamins and easily overlooked health benefits such as working to promote a healthy heart, having diabetic benefits and aiding in the prevention of Alzheimer’s Disease. Also, brands such as Silk make it easy to grab and go by selling small juice box-like containers of almond milk. This option may not be for everyone, but I definitely urge you to give it a shot!

5. Greek Yogurt

This option may not be the best if you are taking a snack that you may not eat for a while, but other than that I feel as though it is a great healthy choice. Greek yogurt has many different health benefits such as promoting heart and bone health and also aiding in weight reduction. One of the most important things to keep in mind when choosing this option is to choose a brand that doesn’t add unnecessary sugar and keeps the ingredients as natural as possible. Another great snack to try with Greek yogurt is pairing plain or vanilla flavor with fresh fruit on top.

Whatever your preference may be with snacks, mindful selections can go a long way and even make you feel better in the long run. Remember, it’s never too early or too late to work toward being the healthiest you.