The Best Rechargeable Headlamps for all sorts of Adventures in 2022

Actik Core Headlamp

37

Are you a person who loves going on adventures? Do you spend a generous amount of your time outdoors, looking for fun?

Well, then you must know how awful it is to get caught up in the dark. Whether you are up in the mountains, camping in the middle of nowhere, or just doing any sort of adventure sport, nighttime is always scary.

But, of course, there is a solution for everything. In this case, all you need is a headlamp!

It is one of the most worthwhile pieces of gear you can add to your essentials when planning to go out.

You can have the perfect backpack and the right shoes for trail running, but your trip is wasted if you don’t have a headlamp for the night. And no, your smartphone flashlight will not be helpful at all.

Now that we have established how important headlamps are, let us move on to the ones we are going to talk about in this guide: rechargeable headlamps.

What makes up a good rechargeable headlamp?

When evaluating your choices in rechargeable headlamps, here are a few things to consider:

• Battery Capacity

You should always check the battery capacity of headlamps before going on an adventure. The power is measured in mAh.

It is better to get one with a large capacity if you don’t want to charge it.

Smaller capacity ones are good for runs or some work in the garage when the lights are out, but you will have to charge them more often.

• Dual-Power

Even if you are getting a rechargeable headlamp, it is a good idea to get one that can be replaced by batteries.

In case of a contingency, you can switch out your lithium-ion battery for AAA batteries.

• Red Light Option

You should look for headlamps with a red light mode as it helps with night vision. Since it is not that bright, it uses less energy.

And less energy means your battery can be conserved.

• Light Output

Light output is the measurement of how bright the light is. This measurement is expressed in lumens, so, the higher the lumen count, the brighter your headlamp.

It all depends on the kind of activity you are going to use a headlamp for. If you are planning to explore the darkest and creepiest parts of the world, then you need one with max output.

• Light Run-time

You might also want to take a look at the headlamp’s light-run time. They usually come with adjustable brightness settings.

Going for a long adventure in the middle of nowhere means you should take a careful look at the run times of a headlamp before buying it.

• Impact Resistant

For a headlamp to be impact resistant, it should be completely functional even after it is dropped onto a concrete surface from various specified heights.

The choice is yours; a long-term investment or a short-term one.

If the impact resistance rating is high, then the headlamp would be durable and work for a lifetime. But if you are willing to compromise on quality, then there are cheaper options too.

• Water-Resistant

Water may come in contact with your headlamp once you are outdoors. Hiking, hunting, camping, climbing, and caving do involve water to some extent.

For that, your headlamp should be water-resistant.

There are different kinds of water-resistance levels; some that keep it from malfunctioning when splashed with water, and some that work even when the headlamp is deep inside the water.

Your choice should be dependent on the kind of adventure you are going for!

• Modes and Settings

There are usually three brightness settings in a good headlamp: low, medium, and high. These settings are typically accessed by tapping a single button continuously.

There might also be a flashing mode that comes in handy as an emergency blinker to let people know you are facing a problem.

• Weight and Material

One of the few last things to consider is the weight of your headlamp and the materials the light is made of.

While the materials determine how durable a headlamp is, such materials can make a headlamp quite heavy. So, make sure you get a lightweight headlamp.

Keep reading if you want to find the best rechargeable headlamp out there!

The best rechargeable headlamps in 2022

A headlamp is a fairly simple tool. Yet, there are a lot of things to mull over when buying one for yourself.

Keeping all the key considerations (as stated above) in mind, let us now move forward to the actual list of some of the finest rechargeable headlamps of this year:

1. BioLite Headlamp 750

This is one of the brightest headlamps on the entire list. But lumens are not the only good thing about it!

The BioLite Headlamp 750 is quite rich in features. You have probably heard of different light modes, but have you ever heard of eight light modes altogether in a headlamp?!

Mixed, spot, strobe, burst, flood, red flood, rear red, and rear red strobe. The backlight is mounted to the headlamp’s battery back and is great for bikers and runners.

Moreover, it is splash-proof and has a lock feature to prevent accidental power-on. But these are just standard features.

What makes the BioLite 750 unique, is its Constant mode. It overrules the idea of gradual dimming, which is used by other headlamps to save battery life. This means you can run it at higher lumen outputs.

Another distinctive feature is the Run Forever mode. Attach the headlamp to an external battery pack, and you can easily use it for a long period.

With a burn time of 150 hours and a rechargeable battery, the headlamp is perfect for all the hikers and runners out there.

Lastly, its design is no-bounce; it sits comfortably on your forehead and is easy to wear for hours.

Max output: 750 lumens (Burst mode)

Power source: 3000 mAh USB rechargeable battery

Weight: 5.3 ounces

Beam distance: 375 ft.

Max burn time: 150 hours

Price: $99.95

1. Hokolite 1300 Lumens 230° Wide Beam

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0432/3006/8901/products/Hokolite-LED-Headlamp-Rechargeable-Flashlights-With-Motion-Sensor_5000x.jpg?v=1655431286

source

Lo and behold! The Hokolite best rechargeable headlamp comes with numerous features.

Delving right into the light output, it is safe to say that you can see a lot more in the dark than you are meant to. 1300 lumens is insane!

The headlamp has six light modes. You can choose a high setting, low setting, or a strobe light option for both LED and COB.

Here are the maximum hours and the output for all the lighting modes:

• LED High – 1200 Lumens (3-5 hours)
  • LED Low – 600 Lumens (5-6 hours)
  • LED Strobe – 1200 Lumens (More than 6 hours)
  • COB High – 1300 Lumens (3-4 hours)
  • COB Low – 600 Lumens (4-5 hours)
  • COB Strobe – 1300 Lumens (More than 5 hours)

The design is very sleek, having two light sources; a 230° wide beam as well as a 90° flashlight. It also comes with hard hat clips so that you can attach them to the headlamp.

Due to its lightweight design and durable elastic headband, it is wearable for hours at one go.

The model is made of silicone, an environmentally better option than plastic and it also lasts longer.

And there is no need to worry about water splashing over your headlamp because this one will not die!

Apart from these, Hokolite 1300 lumens headlamp also has a motion sensor feature.

Max output: 1300 lumens

Power source: Lithium-ion rechargeable battery

Charge time: 1-1.5 hours

Weight: 2.4 ounces

Price: $39.99

2. Petzl Actik Core Headlamp

It is important to have a light source you can use hands-free when setting out for a late adventure.

That light source is known as a headlamp, and Petzl’s headlamps have been some of the best in the market for years.

The Petzl Actik Core headlamp is not a disappointment either and you can certainly count on it!

One great thing about this headlamp is that it provides you with an impressive 450 lumens of bright light, all while having a little bulk.

It has a fairly long battery life, with an option to either charge it through a USB or to use AAA batteries. If you choose the former, here’s a fun fact: it can charge from empty to full in just 2 hours.

The model is pretty easy to handle, with a single button for everything, and three brightness settings:

• High – 450 lumens
  • Medium – 100 lumens
  • Low – 6 lumens

Holding down the button for several seconds will result in red light for night vision, and double-clicking the button will give you access to the strobe light option.

Although the Actik Core headlamp cannot be submerged in water for long, it is splash-proof and dust-proof to a great extent.

Max output: 450 lumens

Power source: Lithium-ion Petzl Core rechargeable or 3 AAA batteries

Max burn time: 130 hours

Weight: 2.8 ounces

Price: $69.95

3. Nitecore NU25 Headlamp

This headlamp is similar to the Black Diamond’s Spot 350.

So, if you are a fan of the Spot 350, but want one with a rechargeable battery, then the Nitecore NU25 Headlamp is made just for you.

It is extremely easy to use, with one button for the red light, and one for white. This is convenient as a single button for all lighting modes can get quite tricky.

The max output for the NU25 is 360 lumens, which is astoundingly bright.

The headlamp is also comparatively cheap, considering how high-powered it is. It is the top pick when you want the least possible weight on your head, but also the brightest light!

You will get 4 brightness settings in the Nitecore NU25 model:

• 360 lumens
  • 190 lumens
  • 38 lumens
  • 1 lumen

There is also an SOS feature, making it cool and also life-saving in case of an emergency. You can even lock the headlamp, using the button lock, to prevent it from turning on in your backpack.

Moving on, the model is resistant to heavy water sprays. No matter what the pressure, your headlamp will be safe from shooting jets of water.

Max output: 360 lumens

Power source: Rechargeable lithium-ion battery

Weight: 1.9 ounces (with strap)

Price: $37

4. Fenix HL60R Headlamp

If you are looking for extra durability along with extra brightness, the Fenix HL60R headlamp is the actual deal.

With the 950 lumens projecting a beam distance of 381-ft, you will be all set for some late-night biking, hunting, or spelunking! It is also particularly useful for search volunteers.

The 950 lumens is the headlamp’s turbo setting, which lasts for approximately 48 minutes. The other brightness levels are:

• High – 400 lumens (lasting 3 hours)
  • Medium – 150 lumens (10 hours)
  • Low – 50 lumens (29 hours)
  • Eco – 5 lumens (100 hours)

There is also a red light option, having a runtime of 100 hours.

The headlamp has a large, textured side button to cycle through all the light settings.

While this model is a bit on the heavy side, it comes with benefits. For instance, it is almost completely indestructible.

This is because it is waterproof to the extent that it can withstand continuous immersion. It is also shock-proof up to 1 meter.

It can easily be charged using a micro-USB, so no hassle there.

Max output: 950 lumens

Max burn time: 48 minutes at max brightness level

Power source: 2600 mAh rechargeable battery

Beam distance: 381 ft.

Weight: 4.3 ounces

Price: $80

1. Hokolite LED Headlamp with Beanie Hat

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0432/3006/8901/products/2pack_dda10852-ea73-40a4-a661-d3eacbbef6ac_5000x.png?v=1641976219

source

A two-in-one package? Now that is exciting.

It is a great combination for people enjoying outdoor activities on a dark, cold night.

A hands-free light, with a beanie to protect you from the cold. Could it be any better? I don’t think so.

Plus, everyone likes wearing gloves in winter. That makes it quite hard to adjust the straps of a normal headlamp. But a beanie will not give you any sort of inconvenience!

The LED beanie hat has 4 different lighting modes, adjustable to your preferences:

• High setting – lasts 4-5 hours
  • Medium setting – lasts 7-8 hours
  • Low setting – lasts 12-13 hours
  • COB High – lasts 3-4 hours

It uses a single button to turn the light on/off and also to adjust the brightness levels.

It is one of the most unique and best rechargeable headlamp options, with a charge time of only 2 hours.

Moreover, the stylish beanie can be a wonderful addition to your wardrobe as well!

Weight: 5.6 ounces

Price: $29.99

5. Petzl IKO Core Headlamp

Another one of Petzl’s latest creations is the IKO Core headlamp.

It has a minimalist design, with the weight being split into the back and front; a rear battery pack, and a lamp at the front.

The AIRFIT headband is very comfortable as well as water-resistant.

Do you know what that means? Protection from your sweat!

The headlamp is perfect for trail running, as its weight feels a lot lighter on the head than it actually is.

The design is also quite versatile, so instead of wearing it on your head, you can switch it to your neck.

The IKO Core has three light settings:

• Max burn time – 6 lumens
  • Standard – 100 lumens
  • Max power – 500 lumens

To access these settings, a single button is used.

The max power is really impressive and lasts up to 2 hours and 30 minutes and the best part is that it does not turn off immediately, rather, it goes down to the lowest setting, which is 6 lumens.

You can also switch the CORE battery to three standard batteries in case you are not able to recharge it.

Max output: 500 lumens

Max burn time: 100 hours

Power source: 1250 mAh CORE rechargeable battery/AAA batteries

Weight: 2.8 ounces

Price: $90

6. Black Diamond Onsight 375 Headlamp

While this model is specifically designed for nighttime rock climbing, it is useful for other activities as well.

The Onsight 375 headlamp has two different lighting modes. The Route Finding mode offers a long-distance beam of 375 lumens, while the Climber mode displays 300 lumens of wide light, right in front of you.

It is equipped with PowerTap technology, to help you switch between brightness levels with just a tap on the housing.

Another appealing feature of the Onsight is that it is completely waterproof and dustproof. You can submerge it down to 1 meter in water for 30 minutes, and it will not die.

It also has a lock feature to safeguard the headlamp against accidental activation.

Max output: 375 lumens

Max burn time: 100 hours

Power source: BD 1800 Lithium-ion rechargeable battery/AAA batteries

Weight: 4.8 ounces

Price: $60

7. Ledlenser MH11 Rechargeable Headlamp

A smart, modern headlamp indeed.

The Ledlenser MH11 headlamp offers you Bluetooth connectivity. All you have to do is download its app, and then you will be in complete control of your headlamp.

The lighting modes for the headlamp are as follows:

• Boost – 1000 lumens
  • High – 750 lumens
  • Medium – 300 lumens
  • Low – 10 lumens

Apart from the usual beam, there are three different colored lights; red, green, and blue, along with an SOS rescue mode.

All of this can be customized in the app, which also includes an alarm clock/timer function. This function allows you to set the time the lights should turn on (under 24 hours).

Another excellent feature is Optisense, which automatically modifies the brightness levels according to your surroundings.

Max output: 1000 lumens

Max burn time: 100 hours

Beam distance: 320 (boost mode)

Weight: 6.3 ounces

Price: $178

Wrapping up

On the surface, a headlamp seems a fairly simple tool. Who knew you had to consider a lot of elements before buying it? We hope that this guide helps you choose the best rechargeable headlamp. Good luck!