The Best Movie From Each Year of the 90’s

36

I love movies, but then again who doesn’t? Everyone seems to have their own set of movies they like, and mine is older movies. The movies I like most are from the 80’s and 90’s. I do not know what it is about these movies, but I think because of limited technology the outcome of the movie depended more on the plot than special effects. It also seemed that there were many more original movies being produced in those times than the endless list of sequels or spin-offs which are released today. I have compiled a list of my favorite movie from each year of the 1990’s. You will notice that many cult classics of the 90’s have been left off of this list such as Pulp Fiction, Fight Club, Titanic, Trainspotting, Half Baked, and Office Space as I believe they are overrated and sometimes just downright bad (like Fight Club). So here is my list of the best movies of each year from 1990-1999.

Misery (1990)

Misery is a film adaptation of the Steven King novel titled Misery. Like all Steven King novels, this one is very dark and a bit scary. The film lives up to the novel and is very dark as well. An author (James Caan) is rescued from a car crash by an avid fan of his novels (Kathy Bates). Caan quickly comes to realize that his rescuer is psychotic and he is in a nightmare situation. The film went on to win an Oscar for best actress making it the only King adaptation to achieve that feat.

Honorable Mention: Goodfellas

The Silence of the Lambs (1991)

This movie stands as only the third film ever to win Academy Awards for Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Director, and Adapted Screenplay. With that being said, I do not know how much more I need to say to get you to watch this movie. It is one of the greatest thrillers ever made. An FBI trainee is forced to confide in Hannibal Lecter (a psychiatrist incarcerated for being a cannibalistic killer) in order to track down a serial killer who skins his victims.

Reservoir Dogs (1992)

The movie which made a name for Quentin Tarantino. It was his first feature-length film and was an instant classic. It also showcased what would become Tarantino’s calling card: violence, pop culture, profanity, blood, and a story laid out in a non-chronological order. It depicts a botched diamond heist including events prior and after. This film is considered a cult classic, but has more mass appeal than many cult classics in my opinion.

Honorable Mention: Wayne’s World

Philadelphia (1993)

Philadelphia marks the first drama to appear on this list and was really a ground breaking movie. It was the first major film to acknowledge homosexuality, homophobia, and HIV/AIDS. Tom Hanks stars as a successful lawyer who was fired by his firm for his status as a homosexual with AIDS. Denzel Washington co-stars as the homophobic lawyer who advocates for Hanks for a wrongful dismissal suit. These two stars alone should merit the film a watch if you have yet to see it.

Honorable Mention: Schindler’s List, The Firm

Léon: The Professional (1994)

I just watched this movie about a month ago and cannot get over it. The movie is hard to pigeon hole into a genre, but certainly has elements of an action movie. This movie is incredibly unique and has left me searching for something else like it. I think it may be my favorite movie on this list along with Se7en and The Usual Suspects. It was a breakout movie for Natalie Portman who is the star of the show at only the age of 12. The movie follows Léon, an assassin, and Mathilda (Natalie Portman), a 12 year old who was orphaned and taken in by Léon. The two team up to exact revenge against the erotic man (Gary Oldman) who killed Mathilda’s family.

Honorable Mention: Forrest Gump, The Shawshank Redemption, Clerks

The Usual Suspects (1995)

This movie has to have one of the greatest twist endings of all time. More impressively, this movie was shot on a $6 million budget (which is absolutely tiny) and was shown out of competition at the Cannes Film Festival. The movie follows an interrogation of a survivor of a massacre on a docked ship who explains the twisty events leading up to the massacre on the boat. This is an absolute must watch and possibly my favorite movie of all time.

Se7en (1995)

Okay, so I know that I was supposed to have just one movie from each year of the decade, but I could not ponder the thought of leaving Se7en out of this list. For one, it stars Morgan Freeman, Brad Pitt, and Kevin Spacey so what is there not to like? Second, it has an incredible plot where detectives, played by Freeman and Pitt, follow a serial killer who has a biblical signature played by Spacey.

Fargo (1996)

Fargo is unique in that it was able to successfully pull off both comedy and suspense. This movie is a thriller which also first premiered at Cannes, and went on to be nominated for seven Academy Awards. A cash-strapped car salesmen plans to kidnap his own wife in order to collect ransom from his father in-law. The hired goons botch the kidnap and a pregnant police chief, Marge Gunderson, persistently investigates the case. It is very witty, and also features great Minnesotan accents.

Honorable Mention: Jeremy Maguire, Space Jam

Good Will Hunting (1997)

Who doesn’t love Matt Damon, Robin Williams, and Ben Affleck? I certainly do. This movie features Damon and Williams at their absolute best. This film is also a drama, and depicts the late and great Robin Williams in a very serious role. He plays a psychologist who helps an M.I.T. janitor from a rough neighborhood in southern Boston. The thing is, Will Hunting (Damon) is an absolute genius when it comes to math. The movie was critically acclaimed as it was nominated for a staggering 9 Academy Awards. This movie tells a great story as Williams helps Damon find his way in life.

Saving Private Ryan (1998)

Known for being an incredibly graphic and realistic depiction of war, the Steven Spielberg directed movie was an absolute hit. The 27 minute opening scene alone may be the greatest start to a movie ever as it portrays the infamous Omaha Beach assault. The film follows Army Rangers as they try to track down a paratrooper, Private James Francis Ryan, who has become the last surviving brother of four military men. It was nominated for 11 Academy Awards and won five of them.

Honorable Mention: The Big Lebowski

The Boondock Saints (1999)

This movie was initially not well received which may have been due to the political culture in which it was launched, around the time of the Columbine High School massacre. But the film evolved into a cult classic. It is packed with action, as fraternal twins set out to rid Boston of crime and evil after they had become vigilantes by killing members of the Russian Mafia in self-defense. The two are also pursued by an FBI agent the entire movie making it that much more exciting. The end product is an excellent action movie through and through.

Honorable Mention: The Matrix, The Sixth Sense