The 12 People You Meet In Your Freshman Dorm - The Odyssey Online

The 12 People You Meet In Your Freshman Dorm

Sure, our schools are eclectic, but we all know how it feels to live in a dorm.

34
www.mc.edu

Despite the massive differences in college makeup from state to state, we all can relate to the 12 different kinds of people you met/will meet in your first year living in a dorm.

1. Your Suite/Roommates

Like it or not, you are stuck together now. Your roommate is your go-to on everything important. At least for the first week. You two (or three or four or more) are built in best friends.

2. The RA

The second person you're likely to encounter is your RA. Your RA is supposed to be your supervisor in college. Almost like a pseudo parent.

3. The "Cool" Group

You'll also come face to face with that really judgmental group of people who just think they're too good for everyone else. If you're these people, I have one question: Why? And one request: please leave the judgment at home.

4. The Singles

You're not really sure how or why they chose to live alone in college. Most of the time they don't join floor activities. Sometimes you worry about whether or not they're still alive you see them so infrequently. You'll never understand the mystery of the singles. How do they survive the quiet?

5. The Girl Gang

Literally just the same group of girls that you always encounter. Usually in the elevator as you're coming home and they're leaving. They always match and do everything together. They're a little intimidating at first, but they're actually really sweet. You'll probably get invited to a party in their room at some point.

6. The Guy Group

Typically runs complementary to the girls. Less matchy-matchy. Louder. Probably has over-the-door basketball goals and make noise well into the night.

7. The Frequent Visitor

These are the people (or more likely, the person) who don’t even live on your floor but they’re there so often they might as well. Usually part of either group dynamic. It's possible that these individuals don't even live in your building. But they make the trek over, even on the coldest of nights.

8. That One Couple

They're pervasive, everywhere, INESCAPABLE. The PDA train is always at the station if you know what I mean. If you're lucky, they call it quits after the first semester. If you're particularly unlucky, they introduce their roommates to one another. Boom. Too terrible couples or more.

9. Lobby-Stuck

Alright, so if your lobby has a decent seating area, there is always going to be that one person that's there all the time. You have so many questions for this individual it's incomprehensible. Are they being held captive? Are they waiting for someone? Are they tethered to that one seat?

10. The Rush Room

The girls on your floor that room together and all went through recruitment. Probably are the best, most social people. Unfortunately, they're super involved and usually not home at all.

11. There's No Catchy Name for These People

They could be anyone. Probably Engineering majors. Or Pre-med. Something along those lines. These are the people that are in your lobby at 2 in the morning studying until dawn for whatever quiz they have the next day. Crying is only sometimes involved.

12. The Enigmas.

Let's be honest; you don't know half of the people on your floor. And there is probably one moment each semester (fire drills) wherein you'll see people leaving and then returning to your floor that you have no recollection of. At all. They're total strangers to you. But every few weeks (for fire drills) you'll see them again.