A Thank You To My Sisters

A Thank You To My Sisters

Reflections of a charter member.

11
A Thank You To My Sisters
Taylor Kitchens

My freshman year of college I heard about a group of girls looking to bring a new Greek organization on to campus. The size of Greek life on our campus was minute compared to a few of our neighboring colleges and universities. Our school was home to two Christian based Greek organizations founded on our university’s campus along with chapters from seven out of the nine organizations that make up the National Pan-Hellenic Council. But there were no organizations from the National Panhellenic Conference or Interfraternity Council.

This group of girls was working towards bringing a National Panhellenic Conference organization to the campus of our small Christian university. Alpha Delta Pi was chosen for its status as the first secret society for women along with its principles of scholarship, leadership, service to others and sisterhood. We were unconventional in our approach, reaching out to the organization to express our interest in them being a part of our campus, instead of the other way around.

In the Spring of 2014, I and a few girls from the group had the privilege of sitting down with sisters from Grand Council and Executive Office along with our university’s Dean of Students to discuss the potential of the organization establishing a chapter on our campus. Our work paid off and sometime that summer we learned that Alpha Delta Pi would be colonizing a chapter at our university. That Fall, I formally accepted a bid and came home to the first and the finest and in December of 2014, we were officially installed as the Theta Chi chapter of Alpha Delta Pi.

I had the privilege of being elected to serve as the chapter’s very first Guard. It was my duty to learn, protect and uphold ritual that dated back to our founding in 1851. I was given the responsibility of teaching my sisters to respect and understand the meaning of our traditions that have remained virtually unaltered over the past 160 years. I proudly served as Guard for two terms before stepping aside so that a younger member could have the experience of learning and understanding what I believe to be the most interesting, cherished, and vital aspect of our sisterhood.

Over the past two-and-a-half years I have worn my letters and badge proudly. I have met so many amazing sisters and established countless friendships that I know I would have missed if not for this sisterhood. I have been blessed with the opportunity to help build something that will remain on my university’s campus long after I am gone. I have been able to take part in the laying of a foundation for those sisters who will one day call Alpha Delta Pi home.

To Grand Council and Executive Office, thank you for believing in me and allowing me the unforgettable opportunity to represent this amazing organization.

To the Theta Chi Chapter, thank you for being my support system away from home. Thank you for being there for me through the good days and the bad. Thank you for picking me up when I fall. Thank you for pushing me out of my comfort zone. Thank you for granting me the honor of serving as your first Guard.

Thank you for being my sisters!