A Thank You Letter To College Bookstores

My families love for college gear might be a little strange but it something I am super proud of.

25
University Book Store

To the aisles and aisles of college paraphernalia, the rows of mugs and shot glasses marked with the college seal and the many expensive books and supplies that every college student needs:

First of all I just want to say thanks. To most, your aisles and expensive semi-tacky apparel is nothing but money lost to another institution that doesn’t need it, but to my family and I, it means a lot. I grew up in a Pennsylvania State University family, where the pride runs deep. Ever since I can remember my dad has bought the family everything you can think of that says Penn State on it; we have t-shirts, sweatshirts, jackets, hoodies, hats, pajamas, you name and we probably have it. My dad brought me to Penn State on trips to see football games and tailgate, and taught me all of the cheers. To this day we still chant, “WE ARE! Penn State!” whenever we run into a fellow Penn Stater. My dad’s enthusiasm and pride definitely was passed down to me and it is something we bond over. Whenever we go to a college campus whether it is a family members alma mater or my own campus, we always take a special trip to the bookstore and stock up on gear. My dad and I wander around the store like kids in a candy shop. We try on everything we can get our hands on, until my mom stops us and tells to pick one item. My dad and I share this sense of pride when we wear our gear loud and proud. We are both proud of the institutions that have shaped us into who we are. I love seeing that my dad still has such a love for the school that he attended all those years ago, and shares that love and pride with the schools that has kids have attended. When my dad visits my campus, he makes sure to wear my college’s gear; he shows enthusiasm and support for everything that I do and that my college has to offer. He has always been my cheerleader and continues to support me in every way. Although spending time in a college bookstore with your family seems more of like a nightmare for most, it is a very special bonding experience for my family. It is a chance for my dad and I to wander and talk, laugh and share in a pride that we feel to our core. Not only has my dad passed down his pride, but he has taught me to cherish and treasure my college days and to be thankful that I get this amazing experience, and he reminds me everyday that he is proud of me by wearing the name of my school loud and proud. It might sound ridiculous that I am thankful that my dad taught me to love college bookstores, but it’s way more that, my dad taught me pride, humility, confidence, happiness, spirit, love, and support, and a few free t-shirts doesn’t hurt as well. So thank you college bookstores, thank you for letting my dad and I bond over your many shirts and sweatpants, this is something I will take with me for the rest of my life.

Sincerely,

A lover of expensive sweatshirts with tacky logos and a Penn State fan to the core