A Thank You Letter To My Sister

A Thank You Letter To My Sister

​​Thank you for making me feel like I'm a supermodel on days I feel like I look like a hobo.

170
A Thank You Letter To My Sister

I have an older sister and it is more than likely the same old story you hear, or tell, over and over again. We rarely, if ever, got along when we were growing up.

In fact, she probably wanted to let me go get that soccer ball I kicked in the middle of the road more than a few times.

*Thanks for not letting me though.*

I was the little pest to my sister. She probably wanted nothing to do with me. I was always in her stuff, using her make-up, trying on her clothes, spraying her perfume, using her toiletries, constantly annoying her when she was with her friends and undoubtedly when she was with any boyfriend. I thought it was funny, as if it was my job to be so damn annoying.

As we got older, she and I have learned to tolerate each other. Eventually, I turned 17 and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. Since then, we have gotten so close I barely consider her my sister nowadays but rather my best friend. While some of you may or may not have a life altering experience to make you close to your siblings, I would say it's a safe bet to say as you got older the two of you got closer.

My sister and I are so close now that sometimes people think we are secretly twins -- we finish each other's sentences, we don't have to even say anything to know what the other is thinking, we say things verbatim when we are together, we know what makes each other tick and we know one another like the back of our own hands.

I want to thank you, sister, for being my backbone. For always being there for me when I feel like the world is bearing down on my shoulders and all I want to do is cry. Thank you for reminding me I can do anything I put my mind to. Thank you for taking my side in any situation. I need to thank you for letting me know that I can trust you with absolutely anything. Thank you for always having an open ear and giving me advice. (Sorry I never listened and made myself learn the hard way.) Thank you for bringing me back to reality but for also letting me having my head in the clouds. For never holding back your opinions which usually turns out to be the truth. Thank you for making me feel like I'm a supermodel on days I feel like I look like a hobo.

Even though you are sometimes out of your mind about things and still drive me crazy (I guess it's my karma from when I never left you alone back then -- what goes around comes around, right?) I need you to know you make me want to be a better person, you make me want to see the good in people and you make me look at things in a different way, three things I can't thank you enough for.

Even through all of the fights, I cannot wait to stand with you in your wedding one day, to watch my children call you their aunt and to celebrate so many more birthdays, Thanksgivings, Easters and Christmases with you.

I need to thank you for choosing to be my best friend because you had no choice about being my sister.

I love you, to the moon and back, always and forever.