Teen Vogue's #BlackGirlMagic Video Series Is Having A Truthful Impact | The Odyssey Online

Teen Vogue's #BlackGirlMagic Video Series Is Having A Truthful Impact

Amandla Stenberg co-directs three-part series on black beauty and empowerment.

18
Bossip.com

On Jan. 8, Teen Vogue released an article about Amanda Stenberg that included three videos co-directed by her that were aimed at black women's empowerment and awareness. The exclusive video series includes guest appearances such as the social activist Johnetta Elzie, filmmaker Francesca Ramsey, and many more.

After her message on black hair in her school assignment titled "Don't Cash Crop My Cornrows" Stenberg has become a voice for black activism, especially when it concerned black women.

The "Hunger Games" actress, activist, writer, director, and musician was recently selected as Teen Vogue's cover girl. In an interview with musician Solange Knowles, the 17-year-old talked about the importance of black representation in Hollywood, her comic book "Niobe:She is Life," and her friends. According to Solange Knowles, Amanda Stenberg is “sprinkling #blackgirlmagic in every crevice of the universe!”

With the release of her three part series on Teen Vogue, I couldn't help but feel overwhelmed and thankful for Stenberg and her voice for black women. I already deemed her to be of greatness with the release of "Niobe: She is Life" and her fashion, but she has gone up and beyond with being a Teen Vogue cover girl and in directing a series for awareness on what black women go through.

Not just me, but all black women can relate to the hair-touching or something said about one's hair by majority of the white population, but to see this video has made me remember my adolescent years at an all-white school, being a minority who wore natural hair such as afro puffs and braids. Hearing the speakers and Stenberg created a connection that I felt was impactful to me on how there are more black women that have experienced these things.

Here is a video from the series about the hair stories of black women:

Watch this on The Scene.

The next video is about black beauty. I can not stress enough how important it is for black women to know that they are beautiful! I have grown up being around mostly whites that I had to "fit in" with. I wasn't as concerned about my skin as I was with my hair. Basically every girl I saw in grade school had straight hair, so what did my two afro puff-having self think? I thought of getting a relaxer. I was uncomfortable with being black. This also lead to self-esteem issues about being noticed and my personality of introversion, which I felt was the reason I didn't have many friends and that I was literally just ugly. Embracing who I am has been a process, and it still is when it comes to not only society but to the black community, where I still find myself being different. This was another impact established on how to see blackness.

Here is a video from the series on black acceptance and beauty:

Watch this on The Scene.

Last, I'm sick of a lot of stuff being repeated to me by the white population, such as comments on the way I talk and act and the statement, "Oh, you're pretty for a black girl." Come on now. Stenberg and her friends have gracefully summed up what black women hear and what it means to us.

Here is a video from the series on what black women are tired of hearing:

Watch this on The Scene.

With the look of the three part series and the understanding of black women, I hope the truth spreads and makes connections to other black women through the #blackgirlmagic that is making its way on social media.