Surviving The First College Semester

Surviving The First College Semester

21
Surviving The First College Semester

There is so much hype about being an incoming freshman in college. After completing my first semester, I can see why. You hear people get excited about recruitment and frat parties. No one mentions classes or majors at first. No one warned me that first semester of my freshman year would be one of the most difficult but rewarding experiences of my life.

Being Homesick.

I was so extremely homesick for about the first month. Recruitment didn’t help, as I was a complete headcase and overthought every little thing I did. I lived alone that week because my roommate didn’t go through recruitment. I felt that I knew no one on campus and everyone was forming great friendships while I sat in bed missing home. I missed being in my little St. Louis bubble, where you can walk outside and immediately see someone you know. I missed being at home with my family and sleeping in my own bed.

Classes.

Classes were 10 times harder than I had ever expected. I went to a college prep high school and they constantly told us they were preparing us for college and that we had nothing to worry about. Syllabus week I had that “this will be easy” mentality. I soon came to resent high school for giving me a big head. I signed up for more challenging classes because senior year in high school was a breeze and I was eager to learn a lot in college. But a month or two in, I came to realize that I over-committed. I had to push myself harder that I ever had before just to receive a B- in my most difficult class. However, I have never been so proud of myself before. I am proud of the work I put in and the result of that hard work.

Choices.

My mom told me over and over again that every choice I made had a consequence. I always had that in the back of my head, but I never REALLY thought about it. In high school, I had set rules and curfews, so I couldn’t really get that far off track. In college, there are no rules. I can come back to the dorm at 4 a.m. even if I had an 8 a.m. class four hours later. I can go to a frat party off-campus even if I have an exam that counts for 20 percent of my grade. I learned quickly that I have to have focus in my life and work hard if I want to make not only my parents proud, but myself as well. Work hard, play hard.

But overall, I am proud of myself. I am proud to say I passed all my classes and finished with a GPA that pleased my parents. I made so many long-lasting friendships that I look forward to cultivating further as I work towards my major. I am so blessed to be able to attend such a prestigious university such as Texas Christian University, and I’m proud to say I am now a second semester horned frog!