A Superficial World

A Superficial World

Who are You?

263
A Superficial World
Sunny Patel

"When you see a person, do you just concentrate on their looks? It's just a first impression. Then there's someone who doesn't catch your eye immediately, but you talk to them and they become the most beautiful thing in the world. The greatest actors aren't what you would call beautiful sex symbols." -Brad Pitt

There I was walking on the treadmill for the hundredth time. Music blasting in my ears. My eyes staring at the bright blue skies that allowed God's ray of sunlight to gently hit my face. It felt weird. The thought of why I was even in the gym in the first place. Then it hit me.I was trying to find a way to fit into this topsy-turvy new reality.

It is the time we run miles. We run from the pain of being in pain. We run from the fear of being alone. But most of all, we run from the fear of looking in that mirror and not recognizing who we have become. Waking up every morning, It is weird how much I wonder what society will change me into today? Will I become the guy that is worth talking to, or will I be defined as the person who is too socially different to be even given the chance to be known? The world runs on images. Appearances trump personality. Think about it- the fear of what to wear is more stressful than have I ate today. In this world, we are seen by the amount of time we spend in the gym or trying to stay fit compared to how kind or how amazing someone is. To unravel your heart, you must first pass the initial test. The test of walking into a room and being able to achieve that across the room stare.The strange part of it is, we were made the way we are for a reason. We all are unique to our own personality and appearances. But today we stand at the brink of extinction. Extinction not as a race. But the extinction of uniqueness. The eradication of the way we see ourselves. Soon the word " personality" shall disappear from the dictionary. It is a sad truth that we murdered that term in cold blood. What has come of this world now is substitution. Substitution of looks over personality. But quite frankly more horrifying is that we as a race have now substituted our superficial behavior with the word standards. Standards are a good thing. The term was defined to be used to account for compatibility which therefore theoretically lead to likability. Yet now we use it as an excuse for our superficial selfishness. We want someone with six pack abs or with a 32 waist. Let me just ask one question. Why? What is the point of six pack abs and the 32 waist? Sometimes the people that are average looking are the ones with Extraordinary hearts. The world is now defined by a formula. For those who want to understand the world, use the formula and everything will be perfect.

Relationships + Success + Comfort = (Six pack abs/ 32 waist) + money

We fought for our independence. We fought for the right of speech and the ability to be our own kind of human being. Then why this divide? Looks will go away just like physical pain. But what stays for the rest of your life is the personality that allows someone to be who they are.