How To Get Through The Summer Looking Cooler Than You Feel

13
HGTV

We’re gearing up for July which means tacky 4th of July outfits. Also, it means that we’re getting stuffy and sweaty and all of the clothes we purchased last season are officially too hot. And unfortunately that’s the literal definition of hot. But it’s easy to feel uninspired. For months we were layering everything and velvet and turtlenecks were all the rage which may leave you confused as to how to dress yourself. The first step is to actually dress yourself. No matter how hot it is outside, you have to wear something. Just think of the sunburns. The second step is to scroll through my list of of summer wardrobe inspiration.

Culottes, or as I like to call them; Fancy Gauchos.

I’m really digging these breezy pants. Jean culottes are popular, but I opt for the light weight fabrics such as rayon and silk because it feels like I’m not even wearing pants! In a comfortable way, not in a terrified and self-conscious way. The legs are wide so it feels almost like a skirt but without your nasty sweaty thighs sticking together! Pair a bold color with a printed tee and put the cool in culottes.

Platform Sandals

Platform shoes are my jam right now. They’re cool, they look different than everything else and they’re more comfortable than heels. I don’t wear sandals much because I never find any that look interesting enough, but add a three inch thick hunk of wood underneath a pair and I’m sold. For some reason, when your feet are hot it feels like your whole body is 30 degrees hotter (again, the literal meaning). And then you want to air those suckers out but you have to wait until you are in the privacy of your own car or room so you don’t offend anyone. These sandals will keep your feet aerated and a little less sweaty. Plus you get to walk around feeling like Frankenstein’s creature’s bride. There is no feeling more powerful than knowing that you can smash small children with your massive shoes.

Bomber Jackets

The last thing you want is a jacket. Until you end up staying out at the fair longer than planned and the sun is down and it’s starting to get chilly and your mom told you this would happen. I love these jackets because they’re so fun, but also light-weight. Bomber jackets with tropical prints are very popular so there are vibrant colors to play with and prints to mix and match and it won’t feel like you’re wearing a fleece jacket.

Tank Dresses

This is a pretty simple suggestion, but it’s one of my all-time faves right now. A lot of styles from the 60s are making triumphant come-backs, but this one has become my new best friend. I love the simple lines of tank dresses and how easy it is to make them casual or formal. Just imagine, you don’t know what to wear so you reach into your wardrobe and pull out your trusty tank dress. Then you pair it with your platform sandals and why not throw on your fun bomber jacket? Wow, you look amazing. Now layer your culottes under the dress — too far?

Bralettes

There is nothing cuter than boob sweat. Also, it’s a lot more comfortable to wear a bra that can breathe a bit. And it doesn’t matter if it shows because it’s cute! I think it looks super casual yet sexy when someone is showing off their colorful bralette with a loose fitting top or shirt with peek-a-boos (or should I say, peek-a-boobs). Try throwing in a bold pop of color with a bralette, I love it.

Over the past few months, these items have been on my list while I’m shopping. I’ve been stocking my own wardrobe with a few of the above mentioned and have really enjoyed it.

Don’t forget to have fun with everything you wear. Mix colors and patterns and throw a ton of jewelry on. It’s summer, be playful! My go to rule is that I have to be able to dance in whatever I’m wearing, because I just never know when my song is going to come on. So happy summer, look hot (the colloquial definition, not the literal).