Without My Suitemates My Dorm Room Wouldn't Feel Like Home | The Odyssey Online

Without My Suitemates My Dorm Room Wouldn't Feel Like Home

They may live on the other side, but they are like family.

12

Remember back to the end of August, the day was beautiful, your entire car was packed to the brim with all your college furniture, boxes filled with clothes, and all those items that you couldn’t imagine living without, (mostly shoes). You had been waiting for move in day for what seemed like an entire lifetime and finally the countdown hit zero. Countless thoughts raced through your mind, “What will my dorm room look like, but most importantly, will I have enough closet space?”

You might have had a nervous stomach thinking of the unknown that awaited you when you arrived at the place that would become your new home for the next year. If you went in blind, then you were nervous about who your roommate would end up being and what kind of friendship would evolve. If you were anything like me and you knew your roommate beforehand, then you really had only one remaining fear. You questioned what kind of people lived on the other side?

Yes, if you lived in a suite style dorm you were so curious as to who you would be sharing a bathroom with that the pressure was almost too much to bear! If your college experience has been anything like mine, then your suit mates who were random strangers on move in day, and have became your soulmates in more ways than just one. Without them it would just be you and your roommate left to clean your toilet, bleach the shower, and take out the trash, and what a bore that would be. Here's 9 reasons that I'm thankful to have suite mates who have become some of my best friends here at college.

1. They are always willing to lend you a helping hand.

They know you well enough to understand when you are stressed out about an exam grade, boy problem, or are just feeling down in the dumps.

2. It is always a judgment-free zone between your two rooms.

Sometimes a night out can turn a little rowdy, but they would never judge you for that pizza box still laying on your carpet from last week. In between the mental breakdowns and the ups and downs of a college student's life, they always have your back.

3. Their closet is your closet.

If you ever need a "night on the town" dress or pair of killer high heels, then they definitely have got you covered.

4. You have learned a whole new genre of music.

Whether it's getting ready for class or a party, everyone knows that a playlist is required. There's nothing like the sweet sound of your Kayne mixed with a little background noise of your friend's 21 Pilots album.

5. They will sit in their desk chair long enough for you to tell them about your entire day.

I mean, really, they have no where else to go because you often times just barge into their room unannounced in a state of panic, but at the end of the day they actually care to see how you're doing.

6. They are your go-to study buddy.

Flashcards, textbooks, Quizlet, you name it, they will aid you in your studying endeavors.

7. You can count on them to take out the trash.

Most importantly, when they see a mess, don't think that they won't know that it's because of you.

8. There is never a shortage of snacks, especially high-calorie ones like cookies and chips.

Someone is always trying to get rid of junk food before it expires and you can't let perfectly good food go to waste?

9. They make your dorm room feel more like a home.

When we moved in, some of us were unsure if this foreign place would ever feel like a home to us, but because we are surrounded by people who care about us, we have made it a home here.

Don't fear whoever is living on the other side from you when you move into a dorm for your first time or return to living in one after summer break. Your suite mates could just end up becoming some of your best friends at college. Hopefully, they will be the kind of people who always have an extra bottle of hand soap and empty out the trash at least once a week, but if not, I mean, can you really blame them? They do have to basically live with you, and that's enough of a chore on it's own.