How Studying Abroad In The United Kingdom Ruins You For Life

After taking in all of what the brilliant UK has to offer, I am never giving it back.

16
Edinburgh Spotlight

Virtually anywhere you study abroad is going to impact you greatly, and dazzle your every sense. Some experiences you will miss upon return daily, while others you could have lived without. The United Kingdom is unique, an island that feels like it is half-American and half-European, it is arguably the best of both worlds. Here are some things that I don't know how I lived without before I lived and loved in Scotland.

1. Chips with curry sauce.

While this may not look extremely appetizing, when your feet are tired from dancing at 3 AM and see a chippy (shop that sells fish, chips and often kebabs) that is open, there is nothing more satisfying than a delightfully spicy and rich box of curry chips. Plus it only costs about two quid (three USD) Mayo is also an underrated chip dip, and I will never use ketchup again.

2. Some parts actually are Hogsmeade.

Architecture in cities like Edinburgh, Dublin and London is astoundingly beautiful and with cobblestone and winding streets, named things like 'The Cowgate', 'Piccadilly Circus' and 'Robertson's Close', you are transported to a magical space that no shiny skyscraper can quite match.

3. Grocery Stores like Lidl and Tesco's.

Perhaps its the low transport costs of fresh produce, or because the German's are simply awesome, buying food (and liquor) at Lidl, the most affordable and student frequented supermarket chain, makes your wallet smile every time. Where else sells a frozen pizza (with less additives and sodium than most in the US) for less than two dollars??

4. Rugby and Real Football.

Apart from being aesthetically lovely, a rugby scrum means televised games across many bars and pubs, crowds gathering round, sometimes standing for hours just to be a part of the lively atmosphere. Real football, or soccer, is also accompanied by more than just cheering, as Brits throw up their scarves and sing in merriment, win or lose.

5. Pastries and pasty's.

How America can't figure out how to make a croissant both flaky and moist is beyond me, and Cornish pasty's warm not only your heart, but your entire body as you bathe in the indulgent gravy and beefy goodness.

6. Disco, Disco, and more Disco.

Clubs for every type of dancing, music ranging from techno to disco to grime to folk, the UK offers an outlet for the itchiest of feet. And they somehow make it classy...even the grime.

7. Tea-time.

The best time of the day, besides perhaps breakfast, is tea-time. Between the hours of 2-5 PM, a reprieve is often necessary and what better way to reset your mind and body than with one of the delicious tea varieties (my favourite is earl grey) and (many) biscuits, which also come in a happy multitude of varieties. Traditional British scones are even more of a treat, and with unique clotted cream and berry jam, you will be changing your lifestyle to accommodate as many of these as possible. If you are really feeling yourself, you can go pay a high, but worthwhile price to sit in an opulent atmosphere, and lick cake and finger sandwich crumbs off of your tea-warmed fingers with friends. You can even dress up and make an event out of it. 7. Running paths that don't distract you at all or anything.

8. Runs with views that aren't distracting at all.

Just a fifteen minute walk from my flat, Arthur's Seat rises from the city center of Edinburgh, but is only one of many crags surrounding the city. Now, picture yourself doing yoga atop this hill as the sun rises. Namaste.

9. Yuletide.

The UK provides Christmas Markets galore, with giant hubs in Edinburgh and London. German gifts and food vendors, mulled wine and hot apple toddies, you can stand on the moving Carousel bar and enjoy the best bits of life, plus they run for more than a month!

10. Charity Shops.

Instead of huge warehouse thrift shops where it's impossible to find anything without having an allergic reaction and being overwhelmed by twenty of the same puce sweater, cities in the UK are abundant with small charity shops, that are titled the charity they are supporting. Run by mostly volunteers, the non-profit organizations are everything second-hand shopping should be and I basically procured a whole new wardrobe for a fraction of what it would have cost if I had gone to Topshop and Marks and Spencer's down the street. I am also currently wearing a brand-name velvet blouse that I bought for four pounds.

11. ...Colorful Lingo.

Words just sound better in British accents. Period. They also use a variety of expletives and chant on the regular. The English language is full of possibilities and I for one, fully embrace phrases like 'Cannae be arse'd' and 'Absolutely knackered mate'.

Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!