The 5 Best Albums You Might Not Have Listened To This Year | The Odyssey Online

The 5 Best Albums You Might Not Have Listened To This Year

Just listen to these albums already.

14
"Us At College" Wordpress

2015 has been a wonderful year for music; so many artists have opened the floodgates and started pumping out massive amounts of work. While not all have been good, and not all have been noticed, they're all appreciated. Here's a look at my favorite albums of the the year (so far) that you may or may not have listened to.

5. Mac Demarco - Another One

Mac Demarco is an interesting character. With a nontraditional look about him, one could listen to his music and consider him as a "happy-go-lucky" stoner, though that's not the case. He doesn't smoke weed, but is always seen brandishing a pack of cigarettes. He seems impossibly relaxed, and it carries through his music, which, though as relaxed as he is, is a lot more complex.

This mini-album of nine tracks is unique in its own comfort. These songs are meant for intimate moments, the type you share with someone when you're both off guard. He's a really sensitive person if you read into his lyrics. In the song "No Other Heart," he sings "Come on and give this lover boy a try, I'll put the sparkle right back in your eyes, what could you lose?" These lyrics translate well to hopeless romantics like myself, or those who just want to sit back, relax, and enjoy. He knows he's special, and he wants us to be a part of it too. He'll keep writing another one, and I'll be ready to listen.

VERDICT: 8.5/10

Songs to Listen To: "The Way You Love Her," "A Heart Like Hers," and "No Other Heart."

4. The Wonder Years - No Closer to Heaven

Alright, I love The Wonder Years; I've been listening to them since my early years of high school. The earnest lyrics and the passionate instrumentals have always drawn me back into their sounds, even if I haven't listened to them in forever.

They dropped the album's first single "Cardinals" on a random day in July. I saw a link on Twitter, and I immediately tuned in, and wow. It was damn good. The great thing about listening to bands for a while is that you can grow up with them and see how you change with them along the years. Most of their albums are fast, loud, and all types of wonderful. This time around, it was a bit different.

With songs reflecting themes of existentialism, death, and the thought of being good enough for those most important to you, this album took a more somber and softer approach. That isn't a bad thing, though. The songs mostly reflect the lead singer, Dan Campbell's, feelings of regret as he mourns the loss of one of his best friends. The songs are slow but loud and very impactful. While the topics are serious, they're faced with a maturity that is rarely seen. It makes you really think about the future and where we're going.

With songs attributed to late legends such as Patsy Cline and Ernest Hemingway, this album separates itself from the slew of albums that came out this year and cemented itself as one of this year's best. The album builds up aurally and lyrically until it comes to a halt for the last and eponymous track, "No Closer to Heaven." This song ends the album on an extremely sad but hopeful tone as Dan recounts clipping a bird on the freeway and burying it while thinking of death. While to him, "Heaven" is the idea of self-realization, he realizes that he's trying his best, and every day, he gets closer and further at the same time. The best we can really do is to just try and try again.

VERDICT: 9/10

Songs to Listen To: "Cardinals," "Cigarettes & Saints," and "No Closer to Heaven."

3. The World Is a Beautiful Place & I Am No Longer Afraid to Die - Harmlessness

With a name like that, you can already tell that this band is an interesting case. Their sophomore album picks up where their first one ended, but it's bigger and better. Well, sort of.

The album itself is very aesthetically pleasing. The meticulousness of these songs shine through on the production and instrumentation. The mix of alternative and emo strains, with the added instruments of the brass and string section, make this album truly beautiful. Even though the lyrics can be corny in some songs, this album is still so good. It's not emo in the sense of early bands like Fall Out Boy, but emo in the sense of truthful and sad lyrics.

Strangely enough, my favorite song off this album at the moment is "January 10th, 2014." This song tells the story of a female vigilante who hunts and kills bus drivers for retribution in the name of a bunch of women who were killed by these bus drivers as they traveled alone. The lyrics make interesting parallels between the vigilante and Diana, the Roman goddess of the hunt. These other songs often touch on different themes, such as the lead singer, David Bello's struggle with depression in the song "Rage Against the Dying of the Light." It's a good record, with a lot of attention to detail. It's a little cliché at times, but once you get past the last song "Mount Hum" you can really enjoy this album as a whole. It's an engaging listen to those who come across its path.

VERDICT: 8.5/10

"You Can't Live There Forever," "January 10th, 2014," and "Mental Health."

2. The Maine - American Candy

Oh, The Maine, how I love thee. This is another band I've been listening to since high school, and with a ton of albums under their belt, they have outlived their pop rock counterparts All Time Low and Mayday Parade. Each release progresses their sound forward thanks to the catchiness of their songs and the well-thought lyrics.

This album is no different. The album's starting track "Miles Away" is an ode to the west coast, more specifically California, the golden state. With catchy instrumentals and lyrics detailing the longing to be where you're not, this song sets the album off with a bang. The rest of the album carries this bang all the way until the end, as the bang turns into the shot heard around the world. This album deals with depression, fitting in, love, sex, and friendship in more ways than one. On songs like "Am I Pretty?" and "My Hair," the band presents catchy tunes with such ease that you can't help but want to dance. I always do. It's a wonderful thing.

There are no bad songs on this album, and they all flow into each other seamlessly. This is definitely one of the bigger standouts of the year. The best part is that this isn't even their best album. The future is bright for this band, and they always show me why they're here to stay.

VERDICT: 9.5/10

Songs to Listen To: "Same Suit, Different Tie," "Am I Pretty?," and "My Hair" (just listen to the album, please.)

1. Father John Misty - I Love You, Honeybear

Alright, so I've been waiting to write about this album for forever. This is the holy grail of 2015. Father John Misty's "I Love You, Honeybear" is a collection of songs dealing with love, sex, drugs, and marriage. This album also heavily details the relationship he has with his wife, Emma.

Each time I listen to this album, I find a new favorite song. It's a masterpiece both aurally and lyrically. With songs reminiscent of "Pet Sounds" by The Beach Boys with an alternative twist, Father John cements himself as one of the most charismatic musical acts in a long while. He writes these deep and heartfelt songs with ease and sings them to absolute perfection. The sweet whispers of longing and lust on the last track "I Went to the Store One Day" perfectly display the intimacies and hopes most have when looking for "the one."

This album makes me want to skip my college years until I'm married so I can retreat to a nice isolated place on the west coast where the love of my life and I can retire and spend the rest of our days in each other's arms. Yeah, it's that good. He uses his wit to create memorable songs that'll make you laugh, want to cry, and make you hang on to every word he says. This is definitely an album that'll stay in rotation for the rest of my life, no matter how many people may disagree with me. If Father John Misty was a cult, then I'm a believer just waiting for the Kool-Aid.

VERDICT: 100,000,000/10

Songs to Listen To: Just listen to the album... Just do it.