An Open Letter To The One I Didn’t Know I Needed.

To my oldest boy, my strongest superhero, my best friend, my son. I love you more than words can express.

555

Being a step-parent is not something I necessarily searched for, but it's not something I ran away from either. Being a step-parent is quite a challenge, especially in the early stages. You're learning almost as much as the child(ren) involved. It takes just as much love and commitment to be a present, caring, encouraging step-parent as it does to be a biological mother or father. I see you, step-mom and step-dad.

With all that being said, I am not a step-parent. I'm a father. I'm Daddy. This is not something I say to fortify my ego or to place myself upon some social pedestal. It's fact. Blood is not a requirement to be the father or mother that every child deserves.

Here's where I write to my precious, funny, smart, loving oldest son, Lane...

When I fell in love with your mother, I knew the two of you were a package deal. I didn't know what exactly I was getting into, but I couldn't be more thankful for all that was to come. It took some time for you to warm up to me, and I to you, honestly. You were barely toddling around the house when we met. I knew I loved your mother from the moment I met her, and I knew I loved you.

As time passed, you and I became two peas in a pod. I became Daddy. I was no longer this stranger in your home, trying to convince you to play games with me or to sit in my lap. You had me wrapped around your finger. I will never forget the first time you called me Daddy. My heart skipped a beat, on the outside I smiled and embraced you. On the inside, my heart swelled with joy.

People constantly told you how much you "look like Daddy". (God's got a funny way of working things out, doesn't he?) I'm the only father you've known, and the only one you will know. I made a life-long commitment to you, Buddy. You will always be my oldest, my best friend, and my son.

When things ended between your mother and I, I was beyond broken. I was betrayed, tricked, and left to pick up the pieces. I had to. After all, I'm Daddy. I had a job to do, and when I stood at the altar and said those vows to your mother, that was a commitment I made to you (and later your baby brother) as well.

There were so many days I didn't think I'd find the strength to keep going, I was tired and broken. But the minute I came home and saw you, my heart swelled with joy just as it did the first time you called me Daddy. The tears were a faded memory, the pain subsided the second you jumped into my arms to greet me. You had no idea what I was going through, you just knew that I'm Daddy, and Daddy was home.

I needed you far more than you needed me. You and your brother saved my life, and I mean that in the most literal sense.

I've failed as a spouse and parent. We all have. I've been cranky, lost my temper, made mistakes. But still. I was always Daddy. You've helped mold me into the man I am today; a better man.

Often, I look back at my life. I see where I've been, what I've done, and what I've accomplished. Nothing holds a candle to being Daddy. There is no harder, yet rewarding, job in this world.

Thank you, son. You didn't know what you were doing or just how much you kept me together when all I wanted to do was fall apart. You are one of my greatest blessings. You're the most kind-hearted, gentle, welcoming child I've met. (I may be biased, but it's true.) You're the one I didn't know I needed, but I thank God every single day for you.

Love you to the moon and back,

Daddy.