Why Are All My Peers Pregnant And Engaged? | The Odyssey Online

Why Are All My Peers Pregnant And Engaged?

Did they plan this without me?

59

It's happening. Adulthood. Everyone warned me about this. "Oh, haha, you think you are getting old? Just wait until all your friends start having kids and getting married." Well, It's happening. And, I'm so excited. But trust me, these feelings for me didn't just come overnight. I am here to warn you. Here are all the stages you can expect when all your peers are expecting:

Stage 1: "Wow that's so unexpected that you're expecting! But cool!"

This happens when the first person posts that they are engaged or having a baby. You didn't see it coming, but you are instantly excited for them. Wow, they are carrying another human body inside their human body. A real life baby. That is so cool for them, I couldn't even imagine. But then you realize, you really can't imagine that and they are your age...that is your peer...you've hit the age where having kids is a thing.

Stage 2: "I have no clue what I am doing now, but you go girl!"

I can't even remember to shower every day, let alone provide for a little nugget! Good for you, you go be that rockstar mom! And if you ever wanna talk about motherly things I totally understand how you are feeling because I sometimes feel that way with many things in my life. Like my pizza rolls in the freezer.

Stage 3: "Another one?!"

Did you guys coordinate? Am I being punk'd?

Stage 4: "Am I the only one who is not becoming a mother?!"

Did I miss something? Should I be pregnant? Am I pregnant? Am I developmentally behind my peers? Did they plan this without me? Where am I?

Stage 5: "I AM STILL A CHILD."

You realize that you are the child and your mom still does everything for you. You only started making your own doctors appointments a year ago and you don't even know how to do taxes. How are you supposed to bear a child right now?!

Stage 6: "I can't even pass chemistry, let alone become a wife and mother"

How can I successfully be a mother right now when I can't remember the differences between ionic and covalent bonds?! Forget about changing diapers! Is failing my midterm a metaphor for my future?! Is this foreshadowing?! Will I fail at mothering?! I just wanna be a good mom one day in the far, far future when I am ready, Ok!

Stage 7: "Everyone I know is pregnant and engaged....heh."

I'm fine, this is fine. I don't understand what is going on but I'm fine. I'm just gonna sit here and try not to panic with the fact that I am only two decades old and it's almost my time to start thinking about my role as a mother, but really I am fine. I'm just a struggling college student trying to graduate and plan a successful future but I'm fine.

Stage 8: "WAIT A SECOND....BABY SHOWERS, SO MANY BABY SHOWERS!"

Awww. Yeah, whoever is pregnant come to auntie Paigey.