Spending Thanksgiving Outside Of America

Giving thanks is a universal thing.

23

If you read the headline and thought to yourself, “That just doesn’t make sense,” that’s because you're right, it doesn’t. Thanksgiving defines the very essence of what it means to be an American, and to celebrate it anywhere besides America is just inauthentic and stale. Or is it?

Look, it’s not like anyone is really thinking about the pilgrims or the history of the day when they sit down at the dinner table. That’s all just hype, and you know it. What people are really thinking about is the food, of course, as their senses revel in the delightful aromas. But more importantly, people think about their blessings. Every Thanksgiving, Americans look around their table—around their life—and reflect on all that they are thankful for. So why does it matter if you’re even in America?

Oh wait—it doesn’t.

The only thing you need in order to celebrate Thanksgiving is a heart filled with gratitude for all that life has brought you. You could be stranded on an island, but as long as you’re breathing and smiling, Thanksgiving is still Thanksgiving. Never let the hype of a holiday overshadow the meaning behind it, no matter where in the world you are and what in the world you are doing.

That’s why this Thanksgiving I’m not upset about being many miles from home. I know that at the end of the day, it’s a day to give thanks and celebrate life, family, love, and friendship. The big turkey dinner will be there next year or the year after that, but right now I am thankful to have the opportunity to be able to spend Thanksgiving, let alone three months, in a new and beautiful country—one that I have come to call home quite endearingly. I don’t need to be in America to celebrate a national holiday, and I’m rather excited to experience my own version anyway.

So this Thanksgiving as you’re all sitting down with a nice, big turkey on the table surrounded by loads of delectable dishes and people you love, I will be halfway across the world sharing a meal with someone I love as well and giving thanks for every breath I take and every step I make. And it won’t be any less authentic, no matter what people might say, because turkeys and stuffing are only a side dish to the main course: The prayer in your heart thanking God for every single blessing in this crazy, unpredictable world. Find people you enjoy spending time with, make a nice meal with whatever you can muster together, and celebrate life. And if you can find a bar that’s actually showing American football, give thanks again.