5 Reasons Dave Grohl Is The Coolest Person Alive

And Why I Wish He Was My Best Friend

319
fooarchive.com

I want to start out by talking about the band Nirvana. No doubt most of you have at least heard of the band, but if you have listened to a rock radio station anytime between now and 1990, then there's a pretty significant chance you have heard at least one of their songs. They're even featured in a handful of movies, and if a character in a movie or TV show is wearing a Nirvana t-shirt, they are no doubt a rebel.

Now I'm not the biggest Nirvana fan myself, but I don't dislike them either. I won't change the station if one of their songs comes on, but I also don't have their entire discography. More than anything, I respect what they did for the rock genre as a whole. Before Nirvana showed up with Kurt Cobain's pained voice and lyrics, there was glam metal, which was a lot more glam than it was metal. Nirvana invented the "grunge" genre, and from there was all rock music of the 90s born. No one could argue that they didn't have a significant impact on the world of music today.

Of course, the band broke up after the tragic suicide of Kurt Cobain. There was never previously, nor will there be again, a songwriter like Kurt Cobain. He was so revered even by his own bandmates that Dave Grohl, who had been their drummer, actually wrote several songs himself but was so intimidated by how good of a songwriter Cobain was that he never brought them up to the rest of the band. But after the dissolution of Nirvana:

5. Dave Grohl Wrote And Recorded The Entire Album Foo Fighters On His Own

By the time Nirvana had disbanded, Grohl had written forty songs of his own. He went to Robert Lang Studios, where Nirvana had recorded their last album, and he recorded fifteen of those forty songs, twelve of which made it onto the very first, self-titled, album by The Foo Fighters. What is especially impressive is that except for a guitar section on the song "X-Static" which was performed by Greg Dhulli of the Afghan Whigs, Dave Grohl performed every instrument and the vocals himself. He had even previously recorded eight of the songs on an 8 Track recorder while he was still in Nirvana.

Let me just emphasize, HE PLAYED EVERY INSTRUMENT AND DID THE VOCALS. He was considered a drummer by everyone in the industry, there were rumors he might join Pearl Jam, and he was offered to be the new drummer for Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. Tom Petty and the mother-effing Heartbreakers! And he said no! To Tom Petty! Nobody says no to Tom Petty! But Grohl didn't just want to be a drummer for the rest of his life. He wanted his own band so badly that he became one by himself.

4. The Broken Leg Tour

Late in 2014, The Foo Fighters announced their new album "Sonic Highways" as well as an international tour that would start in South Africa that September. The tour went on strong for several months until 12 June 2015. While playing in Gothenburg, Sweden, Grohl fell from the stage during the second song of their set. The band continued to play without him for a time, but then he returned to finish the last two hours of the show while medics tended to his legs. While most musicians would have called it a night, Dave Grohl made the medics come on stage with him while he sat in a chair and finished the show.

Unfortunately, the remainder of the tour had to be canceled because it turned out that Grohl needed major surgery and recovery time. He ended up with six pins in his leg and would have to have a cast for several months. But if you were alive and had social media over the summer, you know that didn't keep him down. Instead, the band announced a U.S. tour called the Sonic Highways Tour to promote their album, but it was quickly dubbed the Broken Leg Tour.

That right there is a rock throne that Grohl claims to have designed himself while on painkillers at the hospital. That means that even when he was hospitalized and just had major surgery, this king of rock kings was already planning how he could keep rocking, despite not being able to stand. That throne has their logo on the back, lights around the edges, the obvious fans of guitars at the bottom, and of course a metal extension to hold up his leg. You can't stop Dave Grohl from rocking.

Because they still wanted to play it somewhat safe, Grohl's orthopedic surgeon actually came with the band to all of their stops just in case there were any issues. How much does Dave Grohl's orthopedic surgeon also rock you might ask? Let me draw your attention to this.

Oh, he rocks alright. I doubt anyone expected that unassuming little gentleman to have a vocal performance that strong, but you saw the video, I don't need to explain anything more. Granted, he did some questionable gestures with his hands, but give the guy some credit.

3. The Dude Loves His Fans

It's not too surprising that a guy who was determined not to just be a drummer for the rest of his life would be extremely grateful to the people who have been supporting him for so many years. Dave likes to show how much he cares by frequently inviting fans on stage to play guitar, drums, or just to have a shoulder to cry on. Here is a video from 2003 where someone in the crowd yelled "Play Smells Like Teen Spirit!" which is, of course, one of Nirvana's most popular song. Dave then invited the shouter on stage, and rather than be upset with him, he joked around and the let the man revealed to be "Brady" play guitar for a bit. Here's what that looks like:

Pretty cool, right? And personally, I find Dave Grohl hilarious. There's a saying that a lot of comedians wanted to be rock stars and every rock star thinks they're a comedian, but I think Dave Grohl is genuinely funny.

During the "Broken Leg Tour" while the band was getting ready to play an acoustic version of the song "My Hero," Dave stopped to give a little speech about touring when he spotted a grown man crying in the audience. I haven't been able to find a source that suggests exactly why this man was crying, but nonetheless Dave invited him on stage and rather than have me explain it to you, watch this very NSFW video instead. Was that not powerful? Is Dave Grohl not the sweetest man alive? Provide me evidence to the contrary, I double dog dare you.

"What if it was my birthday and I wanted to play drums on one song and I held up a cardboard sign stating that thing I just said?" Well now that's an oddly specific question from a rhetorical reader, but I happen to the answer for you right here (again NSFW, just assume that Dave Grohl uses the "F" word a lot because he does)

"Okay okay, I get it, he can please individual fans like that sometimes, but has he ever fulfilled the request a thousand people at once?" Oh boy, has he ever. Earlier this year a video from Cesena, Italy was crawling around the internet. It was aimed at Dave Grohl in an attempt to get The Foo Fighters to play in their town, specifically this video:

First of all, damn. This video brings up a lot of questions, most of all: how? Plus that speech at the end? Heartwarming. And at this point in the article is there any part of you that thinks Dave Grohl denied their request? Well have that part of you suck on this:

Oh, The Foo Fighters are going to play in Cesena alright. Dave said so himself in Italian, a language that he does not speak. He could have responded in English, as a lot of those Italians clearly understood English, but he is way too much of a badass so instead he spoke to them in their native language with a somewhat decent accent. How much cooler could he get?

2. He Is Friends With A Ton Of Other Musicians And Loves To Collaborate

Ya'll like Queens Of The Stone Age? Them Crooked Vultures? How about Tenacious D, or "Jack Black's Band" as many of you might know them. What do they all have in common? It's not what but who, and that who is Dave Grohl.

Queens of the Stone Age is a band from Palm Desert, California, and they have a fairly unique sound to say the least. I advise everyone to check them out, especially their album "Songs for the Deaf." Ask me what my favorite Queens Of The Stone Age album is. It's "Songs for the Deaf" ya dummy. Queens Of The Stone Age has seen many members come and go, with the exception of lead singer and guitarist Josh Homme, I don't think anyone else has been present for all tours and recordings. But guess who I later found out was the drummer for the recording of "Songs for the Deaf?" Dave mother-effing Grohl, that's who.

Who the hell is Them Crooked Vultures, many of you are no doubt asking. Well, you see, when a few musicians get tired of only being busy with a single project for so long, they decide to collaborate and form a "supergroup". Them Crooked Vultures consists of Dave Grohl, Josh Homme (that guy I was just talking about), and John Paul goddamn Jones from Led Zeppelin. If you're not familiar with at least one of those last two things, then stop reading this article right now and go learn about rock music. But the rest of you, holy crap right? John Paul Jones? Bassist, keyboardist, and co-songwriter for one of the most influential bands of the seventies? So much yes, and their album is grungy, hardcore, at times a bit weird, but overall awesome.

Listen to the bass line in that song and try not to bob your head, I triple dog dare you. Resisting is going to sprain your neck so I advise against it.

And Tenacious D? Well, before they even had an album, Dave Grohl saw the duo perform at The Viper Room in Los Angeles. Grohl was so impressed with their performance that he asked them to cameo in The Foo Fighters video for "Learn To Fly" and cameo they did! In return for the praise and the opportunity to be in a video, Tenacious D asked Dave Grohl to play the drums for them on their first studio album, and he agreed. But not only did Grohl play drums on the album and become one of their go-to guys for live performances, but he also played the demon in the music video for Tribute and was also the devil in "Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny." Those guys are either really good friends, or even better at maintaining a professional relationship. What do you think demonic Dave Grohl?

"Totes besties!"

1. A Little Documentary And Album Called "Sound City"

Unless you follow the rise and fall of record labels, you've probably never heard of Sound City Studios. I certainly hadn't until Dave Grohl made a documentary about it. What was so special about Sound City Studios? I guess you would have to ask Neil Young, Fleetwood Mac, Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers, Ronnie James Dio, Rick Springfield, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Metallica, Queens of the Stone Age, or Dave Grohl himself since all of those bands as well as Nirvana all recorded albums there.

I don't want to give away too much of what gets covered in the documentary because it's incredibly good and I don't want to rob you of the experience. But the movie was produced almost entirely by Dave Grohl after the studio *SPOILER ALERT* went out of business. But not only did Grohl make a documentary about the studio itself, he also bought the sound mixing board, of which only two were ever made, and brought it to his own personal studio where he recorded an album as a companion to the documentary entitled "Sound City: Real to Reel", which I also highly advise you check out.

The documentary features interviews with former employees, Neil Young, Stevie Nicks, Rick Springfield, Tom Petty, and a bunch more. You will learn the kinds of rock-and-roll trivia that make rock historians salivate, assuming there's such a job. Then the album features Dave Grohl collaborating with Rick Springfield, Stevie Nicks, Josh Homme, Trent Reznor, and even Paul McgodamnCartney. Both the documentary and the album are phenomenal. You can and should buy them here.

So in conclusion, Dave Grohl is the coolest person alive, and I wish he was my best friend.