Sorority Recruitment, You Love it, But You Hate it.

I can’t tell you enough howmuch I love my sorority. I know that sounds cliché, but starting sophomore year and seeing all my sisters again or should I say second family is so bitter sweet.

90

f I could tell every young girl I meet to go Greek, and if I had a famous punch line there is no doubt in my mind that this would be it.Going Greek is the best choice you can possibly make, at least it was for me. But there is the ever famous “spirit week” that leads all of us fabulous sorority on campus to recruitment week.Here at the UofA recruitment is a VERY stressful process, I mean we do have one of the largest in the nation with over 1,400 girls going through. I can speak for ever girl in every house that has ever been through recruitment when I say these things. If I could name a hell week for sororities this would be it. We all come up here two weeks before school starts, the first week its spirit week or also known as work week. Let me tell you we work our butts off through recruitment week also. I mean who loves waking up at the crack of dawn every day to perfect their hair and make sure there makeup is as good as if you did it for your own wedding? I can’t tell you how many times during these weeks I have rushed people in my sleep because I am brain dead and delirious. And don’t we all just love banging up our knees on the floor to rush into a door right? And while doing that, bobbing our heads till our necks until they fall off, and chanting so loud so all of Maple Street can hear. Yes, spirit week does seem like the longest most awful week you’ll ever have in your life, because everyone of us is tired, hungry, and craving a nap. Recruitment though is the most rewarding thing right after all of this, you forget how skinned up your knees are, how you lost your voice and sound like your boyfriend, and you’re past the point of exhausted you’re running on whatever is left in you. BUT it can only go up from here, staying motivated is what us sorority girls love. Want to know why we don’t actually hate recruitment? Because of your perfect little texting you right now, the amazing pledge class that stood on your lawn on bid day that will lead your chapter in the next coming years, and all the sisters you never knew and now hold so dear to your heart. In the end knowing that your hard work as an individual but most importantly a chapter paid off is the greatest feeling. We all love recruitment whether you want to say it or not, you’ll miss it when it’s gone. So fight through it, the tears, the sickness, the pain. Because your heart is where your home is, and you want that home to be the best home it can be.