Why Traveling Alone Can Be The Best Thing For Yourself | The Odyssey Online

Why Traveling Alone Can Be The Best Thing For Yourself

Sometimes, you just need a break. Alone.

9
Sai Vihtoo Myint

For the last 5 weeks I have traveled around the U.S. alone. Typically, what I'll do is because I don't have Friday classes, I'll either fly out Thursday night or Friday morning to my destination. 2 weeks ago I was in New York City, NY, alone. The week before that I was in Dallas, TX, alone. And the week before that Los Angeles, CA alone.

It's not that I don't like traveling with people, it's that the experience is so much more different. My favorite out of all my recent trips is definitely New York City. When you travel alone, you don't have to worry about making conversation with the person you're traveling with, you can actually enjoy the scenery, immerse all your sense into the experience.

My most recent trip in New York City, was by far the best experience, here is what it was like alone.

I was able to set my time and my pace. I never felt like I was rushed to do something or see something. In fact, I spent two and half hours on Liberty Island (the island with the Statue of Liberty). I wasn't speed walking around the island, I strolled from one corner to the next, leaning against the railings and letting the New York Harbor breeze hit my face. I read every single placard telling the story of the island and the Statue. I took pictures of everything (I know I spent half-hour on taking a picture of NYC skyline). I had similar experiences at the One World Observatory, I really wanted to pay my respects to those who lost their lives in the 9/11 terror attacks and just being mesmerized by how big One Tower is. I bought lunch from a street vendor. I'm sure there are people out there who don't trust street vendors, but I don't care, and I'm by myself there is no one else to feed or no one else to tell me otherwise. I took my lunch to Wall Street, and sat on Federal Hall eating my lunch. Like I said, absolutely no rush, I felt I was able to fully see these big landmarks thoroughly.

Another reason traveling alone is so awesome is talking to the locals. When you travel with someone, you are most likely going to talk to each other. But traveling alone, I didn't want to be seated at a table, I sat by the bar. I would talk to the bartender, the people to the left and right of me. I'd get to hear their story of why they moved out to NYC, or why they still live in the area. I went to this small restaurant and it turned out that the guy I was talking to was a million-dollar hedge fund manager who after work just likes to unwind, get a burger and drink a few beers. He told me that going to "high-end" bars where all the investment bankers and Wall Street guys went was not his scene and after a stressful day he just wanted to be by himself and his thoughts.

Lastly, I love to travel alone because I get to do the things I want. I'm not an Opera guy, but heck while I was in NYC I decided to go to the Metropolitan Opera and see a show. Why? You mean why not? Turns out I actually like Opera and I've always wanted to experience fine arts. Next time I go I'll probably try to see a musical or a ballet. After which I went to an after party, hosted on a rooftop bar with views of the Chrysler Building. I was all dressed up, I'm talking three-piece tuxedo, perfectly shined shoes and a care free attitude. I got to meet a few of the cast and talk to them about their performance.

Traveling alone might not be for everyone, its difficult to go out of your comfort zone and explore an area or culture far different that what you are used to. I used to be socially awkward, but traveling alone taught me how to strike up conversations with anyone, about anything. I definitely think everyone should try traveling for pleasure alone, you'll quickly learn who you are and what you're made of.