How to Get Out of a Slump | The Odyssey Online

How to Get Out of a Slump

Sometimes Mental Disorders suck and you're just left without energy to do anything.

7
How to Get Out of a Slump
Beliefnet

When you suffer from a mental disorder, it can be extremely easy to slip into a slump. You don't even necessarily need a reason. Sometimes you go to sleep feeling on top of the world and the next you feel the complete opposite. It can be hard to find the energy to do day to day activities, so how do you even start to try to get out of this slump?

First and foremost, I always pull out my Bible. I don't read anything in particular, but I just submerse myself in the Word. Right now for instance, I am reading the Bible in 365 days through my She Reads Truth app. They have several other plans that you can pick up if you'd rather have the physical copy or other plans that you can usually get for free on the app. I usually find that through these study plans, God always just sort of gives me the right verse at the right time.

Another thing that I do is have a dance party, this time of year it's obviously Christmas music, but any other time of the year I am either jamming to the top 40s or hits of the 2000s. I don't know what it is about a dance party, but like Merideth and Christina from Grey's Anatomy nothing every feels quite as good as dancing it out. If I'm not really in the mood to get up and dance, I also just enjoy sitting and listening to some of my favorite Worship music, which I also dance to from time to time. I feel like Worship music just kind of helps take you to another place where you're right there with God.

I try to spend time with my friends and remember the little details that make life great. Sure, I could probably write a page on things that suck most of the time, but when I look back at it, I have literally so much to be grateful for and the majority of that list is just names of people. God has placed some amazing people in my life and I am just so incredibly blessed just to be able to know them. My friends and family usually know when I"m in a rut and they just get it, which I am forever thankful for because there are a lot of people who don't. There are a lot of people who still do not understand the validity of mental illnesses.

Most important, however, I don't rush it. I may not know why I'm suddenly in a slump, but I don't rush to 'fix it'. I kind of just let it take it's course of action. I spend my quiet time with God and just try to stay on my normal routine. I keep powering through it and I don't let it take me down with it, but I'm not going to beat myself up over it if it won't go away because honestly it's a part of who I am. My mental disorder is a part of who I am, but I am not going to let it define me. I am not my mental disorder.

So I'm sorry if you texted me four days ago and I haven't replied, it's not because I don't want to, but it's because I just don't have the energy right now. I'm just in a slump and it happens. It's a part of who I am. I'll get back to you soon.