5 Signs You Are A Creative Person | The Odyssey Online

5 Signs You Are A Creative Person

Are you creative?

363
5 Signs You Are A Creative Person
Denise Krebs (courtesy of Flickr)

Creativity is a mysterious part of the human condition that we struggle to understand. You are not 100 percent certain of where the desire to be creative comes from, or why it exists at all. You just know that some people have creative tendencies, and others don’t. Some believe that creativity is a learned skill, others think that it is a born trait, and still others feel that it is a combination of the two.

There are, however, some similar traits that are common among creative minds. If you want to be creative — and maybe aren’t sure whether or not you can be — looking at your habits, thought patterns, and tendencies is the perfect place to start.

1. You are depressed.

This might not be the most sought-after trait of people with creative tendencies, but it is certainly a common one. Research has shown that artists are 10 to 30 times more likely to suffer from manic depression and major depression. Why? Artists and creative types are more likely to access a broader emotional range than the average person. So if you are a person who is more in-touch with their emotions, there is a good chance that your mind is more apt to creative endeavors.

2. You keep strange hours.

If you work better at night or in the wee hours of the morning, you are probably a good fit for the creative life. A number of artists attest to keeping odd hours that correspond with their creative flow. Some do their best work at 11 p.m., while others wake up before the sun rises to get things going. Days are structured around when their minds are at their peak engagement. A tendency to do most of your work well past midnight is a habit that links you to creativity.

3. You are humble.

You may expect creativity to come with a big ego, but if you can keep perspective about your accomplishments, you may be more adapted to the artist’s worldview. The majority of truly creative people are both humble and proud at the same time. They know how to feel their accomplishments without acting superior to others. To them, creative work is a job; not a social class.

4. You are not intimidated by failure.

Failure and disappointment may be an everyday occurrence in the life of a creative, so the ability to bounce back is vital. Creative individuals quickly learn not to take failure so personally if they want to succeed at their craft. If you can see failure as a learning opportunity, then you could be well on your way to the inner sanctum of creativity.

5. You notice the little things.

In the mind of a creative, few things slip past unnoticed — they see possibilities everywhere. In fact, noticing things that others don’t is often a prime way that creatives gain inspiration. So if you can appreciate the way the leaves flutter in the wind, or the single ant carrying a crumb far too big for him, then you have the capacity to use your imagination.

Do any of these traits sound familiar? If they do, then it is a good indicator that you do have the ability to be more creative. If none of these tendencies really fit you, think about ways to adopt some of them into your daily life. Notice things, be resilient, and be humble. One day, you may just find the creative fire you have been searching for.