10 Signs Sarcasm Is Your Second Language | The Odyssey Online

10 Signs Sarcasm Is Your Second Language

There's sarcasm, and then there's the lifestyle and the language of sarcasm.

261
yourtango.com

Many people use sarcasm as a defensive mechanism, but then there are people who make a life style and a second language out of it. These signs with help you figure out if sarcasm is your second language.

1. Nothing Is Taken Seriously

Seriousness is something that just doesn’t happen no matter how hard you try. Coming from a sarcastic person herself, it’s probably one of the hardest thing to do, especially when being serious is either going to make or break whatever you’re trying to do.

2. The Long Pronunciation Of "Nooooo"

The different pronunciations of "no" happen just about every day, especially when one of your friends or a family member says something really stupid or announces something that is so pointless it probably wasn't even worth saying.

3. You Laugh At All the Lovey Dovey Crap

We’ve all seen at least a movie that has a lovey-dovey scene where the guy gets the girl, or the girl gets the guy, or whatever, you get my point. No matter what, though, you always make fun of the cute stuff because, let’s be honest, that stuff is lame, it really doesn't happen in real life, and nobody cares.

4. When The Lovey Dovey Happens To You, You Freak

When the romance comes to you, though, you tend to freak and act like a fish out of water or start acting like you have a stutter. Then there's the over confident people who play it cool but eventually revert back to freaking out because you can’t comeback with anything sarcastic because there's nothing to go off of without sounding like a total idiot.

5. Harsh Criticism Towards Friends And Family Is The Way of Life

Being nice to friends and family is just something that really doesn’t happen much. Niceness would be too much effort, and not as funny, especially if you’re trying to give a compliment. I mean, if it's just your friends and family, they understand the language and life style of sarcasm that you've taken on. I would also hope that they can understand a joke or two and go with.

6. You Strongly Dislike Someone And They Don’t Know It

There’s always that one person that you just don’t like; let's call this person Ted. Now Ted doesn't don’t know you don’t like him. This is because you are always being sarcastic. Whenever he's doing something annoying you comment with the sarcasm, and he thinks you're being funny. Later, when he tries to have a conversation with you, you just can't handle his voice or his face or anything about him, but sarcasm is there to save you, and you reply with the "nice sarcasm attitude", which will get you through the conversation and still make you look like a good person.

7. “I’m Just Kidding” Is An Everyday Occurrence

Along with Ted, there’s going to be that person that doesn’t understand that you're a sarcastic person. Once you've made your sarcastic comment, “I’m just kidding” comes after. This will happen at least a couple times a day, unfortunately even more if the people don’t know that you've taken on the life style and have learned the language of sarcasm.

8. Mocking Just Kind Of Happens. . .

Once again, let's come back to Ted. You’ll have a class or two with him, and this thing called mocking will eventually happen. He'll be talking and he'll be annoying you so much, that you just do the mimicking head bob and mouthing the words act. It’s comical, until he turns around and sees what you’re doing.

9. When You Are Being Serious, No One Else Is Being Serious

Once in a blue moon you decide to be serious about a situation, and lo and behold your friends decide to not be serious. It’s really annoying, you try to get them to understand that you're not being sarcastic anymore and that this is serious business. However, due to having the sarcastic language and life style, it's hard to get the message through.

10. Compliments Are A No Go, I Repeat, A NO GO.

The egos of sarcastic people can vary, but when it comes to taking compliments and giving them . . . it's iffy. There are the people that are like “thank you, thank you very much, I know” or just the “I know” then there’s “Wait, what? What are you talking about?” and finally “No. no no no. No, just no”. Even when it comes to giving advice or compliments to others, it's normally always semi sarcastic.