Why You Shouldn't Make A New Years Resolution

They aren't for everyone.

4
We Know Your Dreams

As the new year rolls around, so do the people exclaiming that they are going to try their best to become a "better person" for the upcoming year. We all know a bunch of people who act like this - some of us reading might make this claim around the holidays every single year. However, a lot of those people usually fail to keep their so-called "promises" and continue to act the same way without changing any aspects of their lives. Here's why you shouldn't even bother making a New Years resolution, regardless of whether or not you want to change your life.

New Years is the perfect opportunity for people to exclaim that they are ready for "a new version of themselves," when everybody around them already knows that this is a blatant lie. Most peoples' resolutions consist of being happier and more appreciative of what they have, rather than being materialistic and jealous/selfish of what others have. I mean, that's what the whole holiday spirit is about, right? About giving to others and not worrying about what you're going to receive in return?

People tend to always make these not-so crazy resolutions, but have an exceptionally hard time sticking with them. Why? The reason for this most likely resides in the fact they are trying too hard to change themselves just because it's the holiday season, and the new year is coming up - don't try and change yourself or your life habits just because everyone else around you are trying to, too. Change doesn't happen overnight, and it may take quite a long time for people to change certain things about themselves that they don't like.

With that being said, if you are really looking for change in your life, do not try and do it overnight. Change takes time and lots of practice to break bad habits, even if that habit happens to be to "be happier." Take care of yourself and accomplish your goals with an ample amount of time. Do not try and conform to everyone else's "resolutions," because chances are, they are going to fail miserably at it, just like they have every other year. In the end, you will be happier with yourself if you take the time out of each and every day to work on your goal, rather than just making one up to "go with the flow of things."