Shazam! May Be The Hero We Didn't Know We Needed | The Odyssey Online

'Shazam!' Deserves A Chance At Greatness

There's enough off-screen history to justify the opportunity for a "Shazam"-tisitc movie!

24
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go6GEIrcvFY
Warner Bros. Pictures

2019...

What a year for superhero movies: "Captain Marvel," "Venom," "Shazam," "Avengers 4," "Spiderman: Far From Home." And these are just the ones we know about. Now if we were to play odd one out, you might guess that the odd one is "Shazam." And it's not just because he's only one who isn't based out of the Marvel Universe. It's because he's the most obscure.

I'm willing to bet you've heard references to the others in other movies, or at the very least, have a friend who has kept up with the rumors and has made plenty of fan theories and speculations of the films (especially if you know me, seeing as how I'm that friend). It's because Shazam is probably the most obscure. With his movie coming out next year, what did I do?

First, I watched the trailer about 30 times, because let's be real, it looks pretty good. Then I hit the e-books to do my research. Suit up with me and find out a little bit of DCs first cinematic installment of 2019.

Who is Shazam?

Yes, it's what Beyonce shouts whenever she hits somebody in "Goldmember."

However, the superhero is a youth named Billy Batson who, after shouting his alter egos name, is transformed into the red-clad, bulletproof, lightning bolt hurling Shazam. However, Shazam is more than just a name. While I can't say for certain that this will hold true for the movie (since Hollywood writers like to put their own twist on a backstory, if they don't come up with an original one), Shazam is actually the acronym that the hero calls upon, as the acronym is for the mythical characters that he draws his power upon.

S for the wisdom of Solomon, H for the strength of Hercules, A for the stamina of Atlas, Z for the power of Zeus, A for the courage of Achilles, and M for the speed of Mercury.

Pretty cool, huh?

Looks like Leonidas isn't the only Greek hero getting some live action attention. For all his strengths and powers, we were actually very close to not knowing who this character was. What could possibly kill off a guy with this much power, who, based on comic sales, was even more popular than the blue boy-scout Superman during the 1940s? You guessed it... publication issues.

Up until his reintroduction in 1972, Shazam was originally known as... drum roll... Captain Marvel! But this wasn't the first issue that tugged at our heroes cape. In 1953, Shazam's original publishers, Fawcett Comics, had ceased all publishing of the original Captain Marvel due in part to a copyright infringement suit from DC Comics, alleging that the DC Cap' was a copy of Superman. It was in 1972 that DC has licensed 'Shazam!' from Fawcett and brought him back to publication. By 1991, DC had acquired all the rights to the character and has since integrated him into their universe, and has attempted revitalization of the character several times, each time with mixed reactions. The characters latest attempt to fly through his own comics pages was most recently brought about as of 2011.

As far as his appearances outside of the DC Cinematic universe, Shazam holds claim to a sizable resume. Most recently, he's appeared in several video games, including "Lego Batman:3," "Injustice," and "Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe". He's also been included in several DC animated universe movies and cartoons, including "Justice League Action", "Batman: The Brave And The Bold", "Justice League: War" and its sequel "Justice League: Throne Of Atlantis". Most notably, albeit most forgettable, Shazam was the first comic book superhero to be adapted into the film, in 1941, under the Republic Pictures serial titled "Adventures Of Captain Marvel". That's right. The first, even before Batman, Superman, or Captain America.

Where does this leave us? About 8 1/2 months away from Shazam's modern day (hopefully) masterpiece. At this point, I'm already really looking forward to Shazam, and based on what I've learned, I'm ready for the former Captain Marvel to lead the charge, with his MCU namesake, into the foray of 2019 blockbusters, and to follow up on his legacy of the first superhero-based film up with being one of the best. "Shazam!" looks to be a significantly lighter DC movie, which isn't necessarily isn't a bad thing and just might be what they need. SHAZAM!

If nothing else, it's just fun to say.