Five Summer Skin Care Tips

Five Summer Skin Care Tips

48
Five Summer Skin Care Tips

As a person who gets sunburnt from sitting outside in the sun for 30 minutes, I’ve tried everything under the sun to keep my skin safe. From sunburn treatments to sunscreen and tanning advice, these are the five best tips to keep yourself and your skin happy and healthy this summer!!

How to pick the best sunscreen
First off, a good sunscreen should provide a wide spectrum of protection, including UVA and UVB. Having a sunscreen with a high SPF protects only against UVB rays, but UVA rays are also known to increase risk for skin cancer. It is important to pick out a sunscreen with UVA protection for this reason. Picking out a sunscreen with a SPF UNDER 15 means you are only protecting yourself from 50 percent or less of the UVB (sunburn-causing) rays. For most people, SPF 30 is the best option, where you’re protected from 90 percent of the rays. Also make sure the sunscreen is water- and sweat-resistant so you don’t sweat it all off after 20 minutes.

Once you’ve found the right sunscreen, make sure you apply it correctly. Sunscreen should be applied 20 minutes before going outdoors so that your skin can fully absorb it. You should use one ounce (AKA a shot glass) of sunscreen each time you apply. Apply every 80 minutes, or after swimming or excessive sweating. Remember to reapply to the face, chest, shoulders and back as those are the places that get burnt the easiest!

Safe Tanning
I don’t tan. You will NEVER find me in a tanning bed or booth. But I do occasionally lay out in the sun and use self tanners. Tanning booths are incredibly dangerous and wreak havoc on the skin. Not only does excessive tanning increase the risk of skin cancer, but it also increases wrinkling and dryness. One look at the “tanning mom” should make anyone cancel their tanning salon memberships. The safest way to tan is to ALWAYS use sunscreen, and occasionally leaving the sun to apply a moisturizing lotion and to stay hydrated. Tanning oils are horrible for the skin because the skin attracts the suns rays and makes it easier for your skin to burn.

Self tanners are great for people who burn easily, like myself, and are also fast-acting compared to laying outside for hours. My personal favorite is anything from Jergens. It gives more of a natural glow than a streaky bright orange fake tan, without the orange palms!! The first time I ever tried a self tanner, I was in seventh grade. I knew nothing about self tanners, and it was a horrible, embarrassing mess. If you’re gonna use a self tanner, make sure you exfoliate and shave beforehand, apply the lotion or spray evenly and Rub. It. In.

Burn Be Gone
Ever since I was a little kid, I've burnt like a piece of toast in the toaster. I’ve had it all, from a little bit of pink to painful red burns that hurt so badly you cry. The only good thing that came out of my constant burns is that I know how to make them stop burning and fade overnight.

The best thing you can do for a bad sunburn is to grab a bottle of apple cider vinegar and soak a towel with it, then leave it on your burn for 30 minutes. If you do this at night before you go to bed, you’re sunburn will fade incredibly by the next morning. Make sure you shower afterwards unless you enjoy smelling like a salad. You can also apply Solarcaine to the burn, which will relieve the pain. Aloe vera gel also cools down the skin and stops the pain from the burn.

Hydration Nation
Keeping your body hydrated after spending some time in the sun is vital for keeping skin healthy. It’s recommended to drink eight glasses of water a day or about four standard-sized water bottles. Water can get a bit boring sometimes, so spice things up by adding lemon, mint or strawberries. Other drinks, like iced tea and Gatorade, also supply the body with a lot of hydration and electrolytes which are lost by sweating. After spending some time in the sun, be sure to apply a moisturizing lotion. There are specific lotions to apply after being in the sun, usually made with aloe vera, but any lotion on hand should work.

Skin Cancer Awareness
Unfortunately, skin cancer is one of the fastest growing cancers. No matter how careful you are, there is still a chance you may get skin cancer. It's important to identify the signs of skin cancer before it becomes dangerous. It’s suggested to check the body for cancerous moles monthly.

Know your ABCDEs and follow the American Academy of Dermatology’s guidelines for detecting skin cancer:

A for Asymmetry
The sides of the mole are not symmetrical. One side may be darker and thicker than the other side.

B for Borders
Melanoma, the most dangerous type of skin cancer, usually has undefined borders. The border of a melanoma mole may be irregular or scalloped.

C for Color
If a mole has more than one uneven color. it is likely to be cancerous.

D for Diameter
Moles larger than the size of a pencil eraser should be checked out.

E for Evolving
If the mole changes in size, color or shape, have a doctor look at it immediately.