Rutgers Sorority Raises Awareness With "Shake It Off" Parody Video | The Odyssey Online

Rutgers Sorority Raises Awareness With "Shake It Off" Parody Video

Phi Sigma Sigma, Gamma Nu chapter lip syncs to "Shake It Off" and takes over social media with it.

15

My sisters in Phi Sigma Sigma got creative this weekend and made a video using Taylor Swift's song "Shake It Off" in order to draw attention to the causes we are raising money for. Derby Days is a week long event hosted by the Sigma Chi Fraternity. 

Derby Days raises money primarily for Children's Miracle Network, which benefits over 170 children's hospital across the United States and Canada. One of those hospitals is a frequent stop for many of the children that many Greek organizations here at Rutgers are paired with to offer support while they are going through treatment. A portion of the money my sorority raises will go towards The Phi Sigma Sigma Foundation, which benefits leadership programming, offers scholarships and educational grants, and provides resources for any event or crisis that may need immediate attention. After Hurricane Sandy, my sorority was able to donate thousands of dollars that went towards Sandy relief funds through The Phi Sigma Sigma Foundation.

In order to help raise more awareness to our causes, my sorority made a video to Taylor Swift's song "Shake It Off". We have been Tweeting, emailing, and Facebooking the video to celebrities, family, friends, and anyone else we can think of to get the word out about the video. So far, this video has been featured on numerous websites including Total Sorority Move and Buzzfeed. 

This has really been a chapter effort. From the planning and making of the video to the marketing of the video, it feels as if every sister has put in a lot of work to make our fundraising efforts transparent. Junior and a fellow sister in Phi Sigma Sigma said, "I love that we were able to do this because it strengthened our sisterhood. It was not only for a good cause, but it was a great bonding experience for us and I couldn't be happier that people are enjoying and sharing our video and donating to the cause." 

Personally, in the almost two years I have been a sister, I have never been so proud to be a sister at the Gamma Nu chapter of Phi Sigma Sigma. I feel like all of my sisters and I are more connected than ever. Senior and Chapter President Elizabeth Hollenbeck said, "This video not only represents our genuine sisterhood but the passion we have for philanthropy. The sisters of Phi Sigma Sigma will continue to strive in making a difference in the lives of many."

On behalf of my sisters in Phi Sigma Sigma at Rutgers University, I hope that we have inspired you to help us in our journey to raise money for causes that are very personal to each and every one of us. 

To find out more about Derby Days and to donate to Phi Sigma Sigma, please click here.