"Reputation" Is Taylor Swift's Best Album To Date: A Track-By-Track Guide

Taylor Swift's "reputation" has never been worse, but it's never worked more in her favor than it has today.

314
Ana Landsverk

Love her, or hate her, I think everyone can admit there's a conversation to be had about Taylor Swift's newest album, reputation.

Before we even get to the music on the album, I think we have to appreciate the logistics of everything else. The strategy behind the build-up to the release of the album a week and a half ago was carefully crafted, and as a PR major, that's something that I can appreciate.

Back in August, many of us know that Taylor mysteriously wiped her social media clean. At that point, fans knew something wicked this way was coming. She then released three short clips of what appeared to be a snake. This was the first glimpse we got of Taylor accepting and owning her reputation.

That week ended with an announcement from Swift, herself, including her new album's title, artwork and release date, along with the first single "Look What You Made Me Do," which we'll get to later.

So without further ado, are you...

...Ready For It?

The opening track on the album has contradicting parts that are what keep us wanting more when it ends. One moment we hear Swift singing about her dreams with a melody that sounds like it came straight from 1989, her previous album. The next moment, listeners are asked, "Are you ready for it?" and then, bam, we're hit with a heavy base line that sounds much different than anything we've heard from Swift before.

It's impossible for me to imagine this song being placed anywhere else on the album. The track title itself can be taken as a warning for what's to come throughout the rest of the 14 tracks. Later in the song we hear the chanting lyric, "Baby let the games begin," which signifies the start of a journey.

The song acts as a taunt directed towards the media, especially with the line, "You should see the things we do." Taylor is dropping not so subtle hints that what we see of her in the media isn't exactly accurate.

End Game (feat. Future & Ed Sheeran)

When I first saw that Taylor had a song collaborating with Future and Ed Sheeran, I was surprised. I would've never put these three together on a song, but somehow the collaboration works perfectly.

The whole song is about how Taylor doesn't want to just be another girl in this guy's life. She wants to be their "first string / A-Team / end game". Mark this track as the first direct reference at the album title.

"Big reputation / Big reputation / Ooo you and me would be a big conversation" - again digging at the media and how a relationship with her and apparently another celebrity would hardly go unnoticed.

I Did Something Bad

This song was the first time that Taylor and her co-writers Max Martin and Shellback realized they had created something completely different than what 1989 was, as Taylor mentioned to her fans during one of the secret sessions where she handpicked fans and invited them into her home for an album listening party a month before its release. After hearing the first minute of the song, this is clearly true.

I want to hate Taylor for this song and its lyrics, but I just can't. It's an adrenaline rush, and I find myself with a sly grin on my face throughout the song. Over the years, Taylor has led us and her boyfriends to believe that they were in control, when it turns out that she was holding the puppet strings all along.

In the chorus, Taylor sings, "They say I did something bad / Then why's it feel so good?" It's obvious that Taylor is very aware of what she's doing to men, and that she doesn't have any remorse over it.

As a figure in the spotlight, it doesn't come as a shocker that guys would want to date her simply because of her name, status and money. Taylor justifies her actions by singing, "If he drops my name, then I owe him nothing / And if he spends my change, then he had it coming."

One of my favorite lyrics in the song comes during the bridge:

"They're burning all the witches even if you aren't one / So light me up."

This, to me, serves as a huge middle finger to everyone that's wronged her, and it's in this moment that I find myself switching to Taylor's side, almost defending her.

Don't Blame Me

Initially, my favorite song from reputation, "Don't Blame Me" has a sound to it that is impossible not to get goosebumps from. It's seductive, sensual, sweet and raw all at the same time.

Taylor is accepting her ways in this song. She recognizes that love makes her crazy and that she falls fast, but that's what love is supposed to be. Taylor relates her love to a kind of drug, one that "I be using for the rest of my life."

One specific lyric that can be heard later in the song ("I beg you on my knees to stay") sounds as if it could be a reference to Swift's song "Stay, Stay, Stay" from her previous album, Red.

Delicate

Another direct reference to the album title, Taylor opens the song "My reputation's never been worse / So you must like me for me."

Swift bares all on "Delicate," which is arguably her most raw work on reputation. The song is no doubt about her current relationship with Joe Alwyn. She's trying to figure what's too much too soon in a new relationship, as one can be delicate.

"Is it cool that I said all that? / Is it chill that you're in my head?" Taylor asks in the catchy chorus.

"Delicate" is also one of the first times I've heard Taylor write and sing about a current relationship. Track after track, album after album we hear Taylor sing about her past relationships that have ended sour, but track five on this album is refreshing in that it explores the part of the relationship many of us worry about screwing up: the beginning.

Look What You Made Me Do

A song that is directed towards anyone and everyone that has wronged Taylor Swift seemed like the perfect track to release as the first single for reputation. While the musicality of the song isn't Taylor's best, she gets her point across quite well. The single set the tone for what kind of album we, the fans, should expect.

Taylor's favorite part of the song, as confirmed in the secret sessions with her fans, includes the lyric: "I'm sorry the old Taylor can't come to the phone right now / Why? / Because she's dead."

While the lyric may be off-putting to some, it showcases that "reputation Taylor" isn't the same "1989 Taylor" that we know and love.

So It Goes...

Track seven on the album echoes "I Did Something Bad" in that Swift sings about the control she holds over each relationship, shown in the chorus: "And all the pieces fall / Right into place."

"So It Goes..." explores Taylor's sexy side with lyrics like, "You know, I'm not a bad girl / But I do bad things with you," and, "Lipstick on your face / Scratches down your back."

This is a new side of Taylor we are getting to see, and I'm here for it.

Gorgeous

Opening the song is Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds' two-year-old daughter, James Reynolds, and if that isn't the cutest thing ever then I don't know what is.

This song could've easily been released as the first single from the album, or better yet, a B-track from 1989, but instead Taylor kept this gem hidden until three weeks before the release of the album.

It's hard to believe that there's a guy in this world so gorgeous that makes Taylor sweat, but apparently nothing is off the table, even if you're a celebrity.

In this song, Taylor sings about all of our thoughts we have, for example, when we're at a party and we see a guy (or girl) from across the room that takes our breath away simply because they're that beautiful.

"You're so gorgeous / I can't say anything to your face / Cause look at your face," Taylor confesses in the chorus.

This song's musical elements compliment a previous track "Don't Blame Me." There's that same sound we can hear in between the lyrics, the only difference is that "Gorgeous" is a little less intense.

Again, Taylor expresses elements of control in the lyrics singing, "You make me so happy it turns back to sad / There's nothing I hate more than what I can't have."

Getaway Car

A track that's received mixed reviews all around, "Getaway Car" tells a love story that was doomed from the beginning, even calling the relationship "cursed" at one point. Through Bonnie and Clyde references, Taylor paints a picture of a love that ended in heartbreak that could've been avoided.

Towards the end, Taylor sings, "It's no surprise that I turned you in / Cause us traitors never win," again, mocking what people and the media have said about her.

King Of My Heart

"I'm perfectly fine / I live on my own / I've made up my mind / I'm better off being alone," Swift opens up track 10 with lyrics that don't sound familiar, but gives us a glimpse of what the past two years have been like in Taylor's life, away from the media.

"Your love is a secret I'm hoping, dreaming, dying to keep," Taylor speaks to the struggles of keeping her newest relationship out of the media, something that's not common for Swift's relationships.

In Swift's secret sessions, Taylor talked about how in every love story that she's been told or experienced, the relationship is broken into chapters almost, where there's this moment that shifts the relationship, positive or negative. And then later, there's another moment, again shifting the relationship forwards or backwards; nonetheless, there's these moments in every relationship. Taylor told her fans that she's always wanted to make a song that models these moments, "while it still being listenable," she said.

Listeners are able to break the song down into different parts with different melodies and beats defining the verses, chorus and bridge. Songwriting like this moves into uncharted waters, and it's honestly genius.

Dancing With Our Hands Tied

The next track tells a story different than the previous song. While "King Of My Heart" told about a love that is what Taylor has always wanted, "Dancing With Our Hands Tied" is about two lovers who's fate was out of their control.

"I loved you in spite of deep fears that the world would divide us / So baby can we dance through an avalanche?"

Unfortunately for the relationship, by the lyrics in the sound, it doesn't sound like they made it through that avalanche.

Dress

It took me multiple listens to "Dress" to really appreciate it for what it is. This song can easily be mistaken for a song about sex and a pretty dress, but Taylor offers more in her songwriting.

One can think that the parts where we hear Taylor breathing heavily could be about him taking her dress off, but really the sound is meant to express the overwhelming feelings she has towards this guy she's in love with. She can't explain her feelings through words, so she resorts to a sound because that's all that makes sense to her.

In the lyric "And I woke up just in time / Now I wake up by your side," Taylor isn't talking about how she woke up from a sleep just in time to make it to work. No, Taylor has finally realized that what she has is special and she doesn't want to let it go.

"Dress" is about that love that we all crave. Taylor calls the guy, "My one and only / My lifeline." It seems as though this new love that Taylor has found is here to stay, and if that means more songs like "Dress" then I hope this love is here to stay, too!

This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things

I'm just going to put it out there that this song is definitely my least favorite in all of reputation. The musicality of the song is lacking. The combination of instruments, sounds and even the tone of her voice isn't pleasing to the ear; however, Taylor would be a fool to leave this track off the album.

After all of the drama that's circulated in the media, it came as no surprise that reputation would have a "petty song." Luckily, the pettiness is limited to only this song instead of the entire album, so I'm okay with sacrificing track 13 for the rest of the album to be gold.

Call It What You Want

Easily one of my favorites from reputation, "Call It What You Want" is everything I could ask for in a Taylor Swift song: it's catchy and meaningful, while still standing alone as its own song.

Many of the lyrics that Swift wrote show immense growth in the past couple of years including:

"They took the crown but it's alright" - Taylor admits defeat in this song. She's gives up the winning title to be happy, and I think that's a lesson that we can/should all relate to.

"They fade to nothing when I think of him," suddenly the guy that Taylor was so infatuated with in "Gorgeous" has been surpassed by this current love.

Again Taylor references her disappearance from the limelight, "Nobody's heard from me for months / I'm doing better than I ever was."

It's hard to beat a song that can paint a picture in your head simply from the lyrics. When she sings the chorus, "Walking with his head down / I'm the one he's walking to," and again when she sings, "I'm laughing with my lover / Building forts under covers," I can see their love story playing in my head like a movie.

Taylor's giving up all control in this track, letting the media and anyone else who desires call it what they want, because it won't make a difference for Swift and her newfound love. She's confident in the relationship she has, and this is one of the most beautiful moments on reputation.

New Year's Day

The closing track on reputation, some might say, is an outlier on the album. It's a slowed-down, soft-spoken, piano ballad where Taylor explores the idea of who she kisses on New Year's Eve when the clock strikes midnight, but more importantly with whom she spends New Year's Day.

Another confession from Taylor in the secret session is that this song includes lyrics that Swift has had in her back pocket for quite some time, but has never found the right song for them. One of the lyrics is Taylor singing, "Please don't ever become a stranger who's laugh I could recognize anywhere."

As we've reached the end of reputation, listeners are left with a feeling of content and hope. In a matter of 15 tracks, Swift was able to delve into memories of her life that date back to her country days and then also the years in between 1989 and reputation, some of which seemed to be the most important years in Swift's life.