Reasons To Love Canada - The Odyssey Online

Reasons To Love Canada

Here's just a few traits of Canada that will make you want to live there!

20
Reasons To Love Canada
Canada

You may not know this but Canada has a lot of difference from here in the US that are worth noting. These are the things you need to know about Canada. These interesting fact will make you want to experience Canada.

Festivals:

There are many festivals in Canada that you will for sure want to go to. Some worth looking into are Carnaval De Québec, Celtic Colours Festival, and the Calgary Stampede. These three alone represent the different cultures displayed in Canada, as well as other unique trait and of course, a lot of fun.

Alcohol:

Rye whisky” or “Canadian whisky” is unique to Canada as of hundreds of years ago, Canadian distillers began adding small amounts of rye grain to their mashes. When the people found this type of a whisky had much more flavor, they demanded more, leading to what is now famously known as rye whiskey. It is one of the most popular drinks in Canada.

Ice wine is a staple of Canada. It is located primarily in Okanagan Valley and is a type of dessert wine. It is the most recognized product on an international basis (People consuming Ice wine stat). It is a more concentrated, sweet wine that refreshing to taste. Making ice wine is a risky to produce. This is because of the short window of time available to pick the grapes for the wine. There must be enough people ready at moment's notice to pick the grapes when frozen, before it gets too warm and the frost melts.

Space:

Canada was the third country in space behind the United States and the Soviets. Marc Garneau became the first Canadian in space in 1984. In 1986, Canada signed international agreements to become a full partner of the International Space Station program and in 1992 Roberta Bondar became the first Canadian women in space aboard Discovery.

Chris Hadfield:

He was chosen to be one of four new Canadian astronauts from a group of 5330 applicants and was NASA’s ChiefCapCom for about 25 space shuttle missions. Chief CapCom is the person at Mission Control who communicates with astronauts in orbit. He trained and became qualified to perform spacewalks and flew as the first Canadian mission specialist. He also was the first Canadian to operate the Canadarm in orbit as well as be the only Canadian to ever board the Mir in 1995. He was the first Canadian to leave the aircraft and enter into the zero-gravity space where he spent a total of 14 hours, 54 minutes outside, making it around the globe ten times.

Food:

Canadians eat and like a lot of the regular foods of the US, however they also have their own favorite foods.

Kinder eggs are a delicious treat that are interestingly banned in the US. This is because the eggs have a surprise toy on the inside of the hollow chocolate. By law, the US doesn’t allow food to be sold that has non-edible objects not visible from the outside with it.

Despite what most Americans think when they hear the word “smarties”, this is not chalk-like delicious little candies, but instead, are candy coated chocolate. These candies are the most popular types of Canadian candy.

There are also different flavors of chips in Canada. A favorite is ketchup chips. These are potato chips and ketchup flavor together. Another is all-dressed ruffles, or ruffles with multiple flavors

Maple syrup is huge in Canada. It is what most non-Canadians think of when characterizing Canada. Straight from its maple trees, Quebec produces 75 to 80 percent of the supply of maple syrup, which makes it the largest producer of maple syrup in the world.

Poutine is french fries with gravy and cheese curds, it is a Canadian favorite and is also known as Canada's national dish.

All these things are what make Canada so great. With these traits and so much more, Canada is the place to be. From food, to alcohol, to space, Canada is a unique place that has something for all types of people.