9 Reasons You Should All Cut Jordan Spieth Some Slack

How can you not support this perfect human being?

39
ABC News

Jordan Spieth was only nine holes away from another wire-to-wire victory -- with a five-shot lead heading into the 10th tee. Spieth then dropped six shots in three holes and unfortunately could never catch back up.

Spieth, the defending Masters champion, had led after seven straight rounds at the Masters, a streak that ended in a cruel, cruel way.

It was an upset that no one expected, and one that had fans giving Spieth a hard time.

Not only did he blow his chance at back-to-back Masters victories, but, being the defending champion, he also had to stick around to award Danny Willet with his new Green Jacket. He then nearly added to his misery by tripping over a chair during Willett’s Green Jacket presentation.

Amid his tragic meltdown, Twitter turned his pain into humor by transforming the professional golfer into a series of memes.

And those memes were only a few of the many that were posted all over social media following Spieth's downfall at the Masters. Even though Spieth had a major fallout during the Masters, I think we should all give him a break for multiple reasons.

1. He is only 22-years-old.

Most of us 22-year-olds are still in college or are recent graduates. Jordan Spieth, on the other hand, has already won two major golf championships (the Masters and U.S. Open last year). Last year, at only 21 years old, Spieth tied the 72-hole record at the Masters set by Tiger Woods in 1997. He also became the second youngest to win the Masters, behind Woods. So OK, he messed up big time this year at the Masters, but he is still only 22 years old and has a long road ahead of him as a golf celebrity.

2. He’s got a great swing but an even better heart!

Spieth's sister was born prematurely and struggles with autism, and he credits all his success to his family and the way he was raised. Spieth's sister inspired him to establish the Jordan Spieth Charitable Fund to raise awareness for, among other things, special needs kids.

3. He is one of only two people to win U.S. Junior Amateur more than once.

The other is Tiger Woods, of course, who won it three times. But, again, this just shows how bright this man's future is.

4. He's got some of the best fans.

Besides all of us, Spieth also has some well-known fans. Since Jordan was born and raised in Texas, he is said to be an avid country music fan and since winning the Masters last year has gotten super close with some of the most well-known artists in country music. One in particular, Jake Owen, has been photographed with Spieth at shows, and they have even been golfing together at charity events.

5. He's got Steph Curry behind him, too.

Curry and Spieth have formed a close friendship through Under Armour (which sponsors both athletes) and their love of golf. Once Curry heard of Spieth’s 7 on hole No. 12, Curry collapsed to the floor in agony. We were right there with you, Curry!

6. At 16-years-old, Spieth wrote a thank-you letter to the family who helped pay for his high school tuition.

Just when you thought Jordan Spieth couldn’t possibly become more likable, he does.

7. Spieth's relationship with his caddie, Michael Greller, is heartwarming.

Jordan Spieth's caddie posted a heartfelt message of support for Spieth following his collapse at the 2016 Masters. Greller mentions Spieth's humility and sportsmanship in his two major defeats from last season and adds that this loss is only going to make the two of them work harder in the future.

Read the full message at weiunderpar.com.

8. Spieth might have lost the Masters this year, but that won't keep oddsmakers from making him the favorite to win the U.S. Open at Oakmont in June.

Spieth was not the favorite coming into the Masters but now after his performance (even with the downfall at the end) he is favored to win the U.S. Open later this year. If he does this, it will be his second consecutive U.S. Open win. This is Spieth's chance to make a comeback after a tough loss.

9. How can you not support this perfect human being?

Of course, it has to be mentioned at least once how gorgeous this young golfer is. But, it is not his looks alone that make him so lovable to all of America. It is his compassion, love for his family, and humility that has us all rooting for Spieth.