Put Some Respek On It: Shaq The Rapper

Put Some Respek On It: Shaq The Rapper

Shaquille O'Neal is one of the greatest to pick up a basketball. He's also the greatest basketball player to ever pick up a microphone.

26
Put Some Respek On It: Shaq The Rapper
Complex

2016 NBA Hall Of Fame inductee Shaquille O'Neal is a man of many pseudonyms and professions aside from his illustrious basketball career. While players like LeBron James and Michael Jordan hog all the credit for being great businessmen, it's arguable that few athletes have made themselves a bigger brand than "The Big Aristotle."

Over the last three decades we have seen O'Neal delve into everything from acting, to video games, to even becoming a police officer - and usually succeeding. But perhaps the most intriguing lane we have seen O'Neal transcend is hip-hop, dropping several successful albums throughout the 1990s.

It's often said that hoopers want to be rappers and rappers want to be hoopers, with each dabbling in the other in some sort or fashion. Celebrated emcees Master P and Cam'Ron both had marginal hoop dreams that didn't turn into NBA careers. Ballers like Allen Iverson and Stephen Jackson released projects during their off-time.

But at the time O'Neal decided to step in the booth during his early days on the Orlando Magic, it was seen as a publicity stunt. O'Neal was a media darling, coming off winning the 1993 NBA Rookie Of The Year award and soaking up as much good publicity as he could for the blooming Magic. After signing to Jive Records in 1993, O'Neal appeared on label mate group Fu-Schnickens single "What's Up Doc? (Can We Rock)". The song was a hit, peaking at No. 39 on the Billboard Charts and earning a Gold plaque.

O'Neal proved the track wasn't a fluke by following with his debut album "Shaq Diesel" in Fall of 1993, with the album being RIAA Certified Platinum. Yes, the album did feature one of the NBA's biggest stars and features from big-time rappers Phife Dawg and Erick Sermon, but it showed O'Neal's lyrical skill.

The album's biggest hit "Outstanding" delved deeper into O'Neal's humble beginnings, showcasing his storytelling ability. The album's verses and hooks were primarily written by O'Neal as he set out to prove his seriousness about being a respected emcee.

1994 saw the release of O'Neal's second album "Shaq Fu: Da Return" which sold over 500,000 copies behind the heartfelt "Biological Didn't Bother." Showing he could play up to the competition, Shaq lyrically sparred with the top emcees in the game, grabbing features from Wu-Tang, Redman, Warren G and Keith Murray.

In 1996, O'Neal took his rap game to another notch by recruiting several of the greatest emcees of all-time to appear on his third album "You Can't Stop The Reign". Features included legends Rakim, Jay-Z, Nas and Mobb Deep. On the album's title track, O'Neal holds his own on the track with arguably the greatest emcee of all - The Notorious B.I.G.

O'Neal would release his last album "Respect" in 1998 but his respect had already been attained and his status as greatest NBA rapper cemented.

Through the mid to late '90's many of the NBA's stars tried their hands at rapping, many failing miserably (Jason Kidd, Kobe Bryant) but O'Neal's legacy was already cemented.

It's amazing to think that "Shaq Diesel" was able to balance 82 game seasons with hectic off-seasons consisting of movie shoots and commercials while pumping out quality rap albums.

In 1994, O'Neal had a video game (Shaq-Fu), a movie ("Blue Chips"), multiple commercials, an album (Shaq-Fu: Da Return), and even led his team to the NBA Finals.

An incredible work ethic and desire to exceed expectations is the reason O'Neal not only succeeded in rap but why he is still generating millions long after hanging up his jersey.

Put some "Respek" on his name.