What It's Really Like To Work Black Friday, As Told By 'New Girl'

"I'm so tired my tired is tired."

11

Being the broke college student that I am, I sought out a seasonal job while I am home for break. That consisted of me working Black Friday. I was never into Black Friday shopping so I didn't know what kind of crazy I was getting myself into. Luckily, I didn't work when the doors opened, but 10 p.m. to 8 a.m. is just as bad. I didn't think it would be that busy because who would be shopping in the middle of the night?

Boy was I wrong.

So, here is how working Black Friday went for me as told through "New Girl."

Walking into work I felt great and ready to take anything coming my way.

I mean how bad could it be, right?

Fifteen minutes into my shift I realized I was way wrong.

There are people coming at me in every direction and I am trying to cash a customer out. Sorry ma'am I started two days ago I can't tell you where the item from the catalog is located.

Almost every customer that came up to the register complained about the coupons.

I know it is annoying that none of them work but I cannot do anything about them. You are aiming your anger towards the wrong person and having 10 hours of anger isn't doing anyone good. Happy Holidays right?

The only thing I am worried about right now is when I can go on my break.

I am silently praying that each customer who is walking past is going to go into a different line and not in this area because that allows me to leave.

And once I got on break all I wanted was the table to turn into my bed.

I didn't want to waste a single minute of sitting so you bet your bottom dollar I didn't move once during my 30 minute break.

When my break was over I was not mentally prepared to go back in there.

It was a terrible tease to know I still had four more hours to go. Excuse me while I wipe away my tears on my walk of shame back to the register.

My favorite, is the people apologizing for the store being open.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate you trying to make me feel better. However, the reason we're still open is because people are willing to go out on Thanksgiving and shop.

Do I need the money this bad?

Next, came the contemplating stage. Why did I need to get a job? Why must I want money so bad? It's a break for a reason why aren't I enjoying it?

The overwhelming feeling of victory of punching out and leaving.

Anyone who has worked Black Friday may not agree with everything i've said but they can agree with the indescribable feeling of being able to leave your overnight shift on Black Friday.

Finally, the moment I walk through my door and realize I am able to sleep.

For some odd unknown reason I was extremely emotional. Maybe being awake for over 24 hours played a factor in it but something came over me. When I walked through my front door in the morning and my mom asked me how it went I nearly broke down in tears. It kind of feels like when you're so angry all you can do is cry, but mine was that I was so tired.

I know I got myself in this situation but a little humor through Black Friday never hurts!