Politics In 5 Minutes | The Odyssey Online

Politics In 5 Minutes

Your Weekly Update, October 19-26

13
Politics In 5 Minutes

Immigration Crisis Continues

Central and Eastern European leaders made a pledge to coordinate action against Europe’s migration process on Sunday, agreeing to set up holding camps for 100,000 people. German Chancellor Angela Merkel said, “[the agreement] does not solve the problem,” but serves as “a building stone” for a more broad policy to be created.

Backlash Over Climate Change Regulations

President Obama’s Clean Power Plan, a series of regulations created by the Environmental Protection Agency was published, put into law and met with legal opposition from 24 states on Friday. The new regulations are designed to cut the U.S.’s carbon emissions from power plants by calling for a 32 percent reduction of emissions form these plants by 2030. As coal power plants are the most impacted by this plan, West Virginia and Kentucky are leading the lawsuit against this plan. In a conference call with reporters, West Virginia Attorney General Patrick Morrisey said, “The EPA cannot do what it intends to do legally.” The EPA’s administration defends the plan by explaining that it has a strong scientific and legal basis and is within the EPA’s authority under the Clean Air Act. If not changed or blocked, the Clean Power Plan is set to begin in 2022.

Ryan Running for Speaker

Representative Paul D. Ryan demanded that he have sufficient time with his family, as well as support from the entire Republican Party in order to run for Speaker of the House. This was a tall order, as many blame the far-right Freedom Caucus, for pressuring John A. Boehner out of his seat as speaker. After gaining endorsements from two House Republican factions, Ryan announced that he seeks to replace Boehner.

Biden's "Window Has Closed" on Running for President

On Wednesday, Vice President Joe Biden announced that he will not be running for President in 2016. Clamor had been raised over the prospect of Biden competing with Hillary Clinton for Democratic nomination, but in Biden's speech, he said that there is insufficient time for him to construct a "winning campaign." In his address, Biden also rebuked partisan politics in America.

Clinton’s Benghazi Questioning

Republican lawmakers questioned secretary of State Hillary Clinton for eight hours on Thursday. The New York Times regarded the questioning as “aggressive,” though little was discovered. There have been seven investigations run on the 2012 attacks of the U.S. diplomatic mission to Benghazi and Libya previous to this exchange.

Webb and Chafee Campaigns Subside

Following weak shows at the Democratic debate two weeks ago, Democratic presidential candidates Jim Webb and Lincoln Chaffee have dropped out of the Democratic race. Chaffee addressed the future of his campaign at the Democratic National Committee’s Women’s Leadership Forum on Friday, after, as the Boston Globe says, he failed to gain traction. Webb’s exit is attributed to his attempt at bipartisanship, in a time and nation where partisanship takes precedence.

Presidents Meet in Moscow

According to a Kremlin spokesman, President Bashar al-Assad of Syria met with President Vladimir Putin in Moscow last Tuesday to plans for the two’s joint military campaign in Syria. Assad informed Putin about the ground situation, and Putin said that Russia would be ready to contribute to a political settlement of Syria’s conflict. Russia and the United States had previously signed an agreement to regulate drone and aircraft flights over Syrian airspace.

Liberal Victory in Canada

Last Monday night Justin Trudeau won Canada’s parliamentary election. This liberal victory came as a surprise, ending a nine-year run as Prime Minister for the conservative Stephen Harper.