A Pill Of Honesty: Ibiza’s Insights Into The Human Condition - The Odyssey Online

A Pill Of Honesty: Ibiza’s Insights Into The Human Condition

This popular pop song has both sobering truths and honest insights from which the listening public can learn.

15
Benjamin Marchant

In the hit song by Mike Posner, four different scenarios are addressed — all of which, I believe, we can both resonate with and learn from.

The music video begins with the artist taking a pill, which causes his head to become an unseemly, manic caricature of its original form. Throughout the video, which showcases the lavish party scene Ibiza is famous for, the juxtaposition of the artist’s loss of humanity with the vitality of his peers is evident. At the end, the artist returns to his original self and looks in the mirror once more, lacking the initial enthusiasm he once had after having taken the pill. Despite having returned to normal, all he can see in himself is the exaggerated, craze-induced self.

At some point in life, we have all felt the way Posner’s caricature feels: distant, insecure, stoic and unfulfilled. So what things lead to those feelings? Let’s take a look.

Appeasing Avicii:

Generally, we want people to like us, at least to some degree. Consequently, succumbing to peer pressure is not only an elementary-age dilemma, but rather a lifelong struggle. Yet when we give into peer pressure, especially to impress or win the favor of someone we respect, sometimes it can be to our detriment:

“I took a pill in Ibiza, to show Avicii I was cool!
And when I finally got sober
Felt ten years older
But f* it, it was somethin' to do”

Live a life that seeks to honor the Lord, for although He commands obedience, what He demands is not to our downfall, but rather to more fruitful, satisfying versions of ourselves that we cannot achieve on our own accord. Moreover, his commandments are not grievous or burdensome, but grow lighter the more we exercise dependence on His indwelling Spirit.

Extolling Externals:

Posner then talks about his L.A. experience:

“I'm livin' out in L.A.
I drive a sports car just to prove
I'm a real big baller cause I made a million dollars
And I spend it on girls and shoes”

In order to gain the approval of others, we tend to focus on our external, because that is what people notice. Even on social media we edit our profiles to give the appearance of what we perceive will draw people to us and consequently accept us.

Yet straining to live up to the standard we portray can be exhausting and demoralizing when we fail to do so. Rather, let’s focus on building our character, establishing integrity and find peace in letting the Lord mold us, for, “the Lord teeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart.” And at the end of the day, His judgment is final.

Passed Potential:

In keeping with the flow of the song, the former half of the second verse is a consequence of living life according to the two halves of the first verse. When we give into peer pressure and beautify our externals—letting our inner person’s development grow stagnant—our potential for greatness wanes:

“I'm just a singer who already blew his shot
I get along with old timers
Cause my name's a reminder of a pop song people forgot”

Time continues on, regardless of how we spend it. We can choose to live with a YOLO mindset, but it can result in becoming that old pop song people are quick to forget (e.g. becoming that person who is good for a laugh or a drink, but that’s about it). We can choose to forego living a life of courage and sacrificial love out of fear, but we lose time and opportunities to make an impacting difference. Perhaps we should listen to the conclusion of original proponent of living life to its fullest now, “... incline thine ear unto wisdom, andapply thine heart to understanding.” He learned that there is more to life versus a life hereafter that should be considered when making decisions in the present.

Intimacy Isolated:

Isolation is the culmination of a life saturated with the here-and-now and the stress of being a people-pleaser. The tragic irony is that in the song, Posner discusses doing all the work viz. taking the pill, buying the cars, etc. and cannot even enjoy the fruits of such costly labor:

“And I can't keep a girl, no
Cause as soon as the sun comes up
I cut 'em all loose and work's my excuse
But the truth is I can't open up”

Why can't he open up? Fear. We can either forfeit fearing the Lord, thereby living a life of fear, or we can fear the Lord, resulting in a life abundant with boldness, influence and power. It would be foolish both for this life and the next to not considering choosing the latter, for, “There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.

Conclusions:

For pop music, this song is refreshingly honest and sobering. It teaches us from another’s experience, which is the best way to learn. It shows what comes about when giving into peer pressure, building an external façade, misspending time and lying to cover up a soul riddled with dissatisfaction and loneliness.

In his own words:

“But you don't wanna be high like me
Never really knowing why like me
You don't ever wanna step off that roller coaster and be all alone”

So if that’s what we do not want to do, here is a better alternative, “Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.” Live for more, my friends, live for more.