My Phobia Of Snakes

My Phobia Of Snakes

Disclamer: This is a very sensitive and emotional topic

103
My Phobia Of Snakes
huffpost.com

The day was Wednesday, August 3, 2016. It was 8 p.m. on a hot day in a very humid subway station. I had my earbuds in with "Don't you worry child" on full blast as I anxiously thought about leaving for college and about when my damn train was going to come. I was tapped by an older looking man. Thanks to my unconscious bias, I immediately thought he wanted to ask for money, so I immediately said "No, sorry I don't have any change on me," which was true by the way. However, the guy seemed persistent so I took off my earbuds to hear him properly.

He says "Excuse me sir, does this train go to Jay Street?"

I quickly responded, "No, you'd have to go to the other side to get that train."

He swiftly says, "Thanks man," as he walks away.

I watched as he walked away to make sure he was going the right way and I noticed his scarf stick out its tongue. Or at least I thought it was a scarf...

What I saw or presumed was a cheetah/leopard print scarf was actually...

What I saw or presumed was a cheetah/leopard print scarf was actually a snake. This wasn't just any snake (like the garden ones), this was a full-grown-boa-looking-snake on this man's neck slithering around his owner in a crowded train station. Before I continue, let me give you a little background on this.

When I was around five years old, I was on the farm with my grandfather. It was just my sister, my mom, grandpa and I at the time. That day, my sister and mom went to the market and left me with grandpa. Grandpa always sang to me, one of the many things I loved about him. About an hour in, he suddenly stopped singing. I turned around to ask grandpa why he stopped and I saw him on the ground. He cried in pain as I watched a snake leave his body. I cried out for help as our neighbor came and took him to the hospital and called for my mom to meet us there.

Immediately after our arrival to the hospital, the doctor refused to treat him unless a deposit was made and a police report was present. Now my neighbor went quickly to the police station to request a police report but they wanted a bribe in order for us to get it immediately. We didn't have any money, being at the lowest of the lows in the socioeconomic level. So the hospital had no choice but to discharge him. My mom did the best she could to suck the venom out of his leg and tie it up but he unfortunately got an infection later on that week and passed away.

Losing someone you loved isn't easy. No one should ever have to go through that. It certainly was very difficult for me being that he was the only male role model in my life at the time. It forced me to step up and take up that role to support my sister and mother, even though I was the youngest. This incident changed me in so many ways, one of which is a scar that I'm still trying to hide and contain til this day. I've had a phobia of snakes ever since and it grow worst over the years.

In school, kids would see how I'd react to pictures of snakes and use that to get to me. Many times, the thought of suicide came to me but thanks to the support of my sister, I got through that phase. She always stood up for me and unknowingly talked me out of committing suicide. I'm proud of the progress that I've made today and I know I can overcome this fear with the right support as I move forward.

I WAS TALKING TO A MAN FOUR FEET AWAY FROM ME WITH A SNAKE ON HIS...

Now back to the train incident. Seeing that snake brought on a lot of feelings at once. Mostly fear. I began to have a panic attack and kept looking a others making that "Did anyone not see that?" face. I became more aware as I watched him get unto that crowded train on the other side. I began to imagine what that would've been like if I was on that train and I was to only notice the snake crawling around behind closed doors. I began to ask myself why I didn't see it. I WAS TALKING TO A MAN 4 FEET AWAY FROM ME WITH A SNAKE ON HIS NECK!!!! How did I not realize? If I did, I probably would've jumped into the tracks. Then I begin to ask why is it allowed for one to have such a dangerous reptile as a pet. Such things should not be joke with. Last thing I'd want is for me to be on a train with my eyes closed on to wake up to a snake right in front of me of in my face. I'd probably have a heart attack.

I ask that as you read this, you understand that phobias are a real thing. If you think taking one's phobia and shoving it in their face is right? Then I'd say you have no home training. No one should be forced to get over their fears. Each person should work on overcoming it overtime. Just when I thought I was over snakes, I saw that and it all came back. Never did I think I'd have to go through this healing process again but, here I am!