Peace Out, 2016

Peace Out, 2016

If you love or hate New Year's Day, this is for you.

4
Peace Out, 2016
University Herald

For many people, New Year's Eve/Day is a dreaded holiday.
If you are one of these people, you certainly won't be cutting back on the tacos because "New Year, New Me." You probably aren't fond of the excessive weight loss ads that are flooding your Facebook feed either. You don't understand why people make resolutions that will not make it past February. And you definitely are not planning on staying awake until midnight to watch everyone smooching faces. Yuck.

If you are a New Year hater, I apologize, but I am not. I actually have no problem with this day at all. In fact, it's one of my favorites. New Year's Eve is a time to reflect on what you have become, achieved, and experienced in the last 12 months. It is a celebration for what lies ahead in the upcoming 12 months. And most importantly, it is an excuse to cover yourself in sparkles and eat lots of cake. What's so terrible about that?

Not to mention, if you like making lists, New Year's Eve is an absolutely thrilling time. It is the day to make the most important list of the year. Seriously, what a rush! (Speaking of lists, I will attach my 2016 Overview in the comments below.)

If lists genuinely terrify you and taunt you in your nightmares, by all means, don't make one! Instead, come up with a monthly resolution. One goal isn't so scary, right? You might even have a greater outcome if you only focus on one goal every four weeks. Besides, who can give up pizza for an entire year? Not me.

2016 is coming to an end. It is quite possible that you have had the best year yet, but maybe you had the worst. Do not worry, pal, you are about to be given a clean slate. That's something to celebrate! New Year's Day is truly a magical time if you let it be. Take a second to remember all of your new friends, favorite songs, best adventures, late nights, and greatest moments of 2016.

Here is to hoping for the best year yet! May your 2017 be filled with love, potential, endless opportunities, spaghetti, new experiences, and really great music. Focus on your passions, be ambitious, remain positive, and surround yourself with people who encourage you. And please, for the love of everything good in life, do not make a Flipagram. No one actually wants to see those or be tagged in one.

(Side note for those who love me and care: If you want to see everywhere I traveled, what I have learned, my achievements, my spiritual growth, and concerts I attended this year, check it out at simmeshay.wordpess.com)

Happy almost New Year to you all!