Overcoming Greek Life Stereotypes

Overcoming Greek Life Stereotypes

Focusing on the positive.

120
Overcoming Greek Life Stereotypes
Franklin College Delta Delta Delta

According to statistics taken from thefraternityadvisor.com there are more than 12,000 fraternities and sororities chapters on over 800 different campuses across the United States and Canada. Among these organizations and their members there have been several CEOs, Fortune 500 company executives, senators, congressmen, and even past presidents. Greek organizations on average have raised more than seven million dollars annually for charities, and Greek life members are more than 75 percent likely to donate more to charities than their counterparts. With all of these positive statistics, its hard to imagine how a negative stigma follows Greek organizations and their members.

Even with Greek organizations doing multiple positive things for charities across the globe, this stigma is still connected to greek life. However many members of Greek life have to deal with the stigma that they are selfish and rude. Fraternities suffer from the stereotype that says that all that the men care about is drinking and having sex. Sororities battle the stigma that we are all promiscuous women who care more about drinking then their grades. Though members of Greek organizations do party and some may follow these, we are way more than just some stereotype.

Greek Life has helped me get more involved in my campus in more ways than I could have ever imagined before coming to college. My sorority is deeply involved with St Jude children's hospital and we are deeply involved in campus events like Riley Dance Marathon and St. Jude Up till Dawn. However, we are not the only Greek organization on campus that are involved in charity events.

Greek Life has helped me become more involved in philanthropy, and that is one of the most rewarding parts or being in a sorority. I also have made great friends while in my sorority. The important thing is that Greek Life is more than just a social organization where people just party. Each Greek organization has its own set of values and its own charity that its members give to and believe in. I think it's time that the old stereotypes casting all of Greek life in a negative light end , and that we focus on our positive qualities and not so much the bad qualities. I know that Greek life as a whole is not perfect, but Greek life should be known for its positive side, as well.