An Open Letter To My Freshman Year Roommate

You are one of a kind.

31
Jessica Blankenship

Dear Roomie,

Thank you for everything. We went through a lot together, did a lot of things, and saw a lot of things. We encountered what, for most people, is the scariest part of our young lives. We moved out of our home, away from our parents, and into a room in which we shared everything; our bedroom, living room, closet, office... everything. We took on the world as our own for the first time, not knowing anything about what we were really up against. You were my rock through it all.

Thank you for the laughter and memories. There is no one else I would rather spend hours getting ready for the night with; blasting our music until the RA told us to turn it down, trying on millions of outfits, even from each other's closets, and dancing around with no judgement. Even just staying in, watching bad Netflix movies or binge-watching our favorite shows, and ordering pizza was fun with you. Having a partner in crime is so important for a girl going away to college, and you were the best partner I could ask for. I didn't have to worry about eating in the dining hall alone, or not having anyone to help me study, because you were there. I don't think I have ever laughed as hard as I did when we lived together.

Thank you for being my support system. Thank you for letting me vent about my horrible day, or any drama going on in my life that I just couldn't hold in any longer. Thank you for hugging me when you could see I needed one, without me having to tell you. Thank you for being my shoulder to cry on when life got rough, and for doing everything in your power to bring a smile back to my face. I wouldn't have made it through the late-night cramming sessions or bad break ups without you by my side.

Thank you for bringing out a side of me I never knew I had. Thank you for making me do things outside of my comfort zone, even if I hesitated. Thank you for showing me what having a true friend is really like, and how real friendships work. A real friendship isn't all happiness and perfection- there can be rough times as well. Together, we learned each other's likes and dislikes, and learned how to adjust our lives to live together in harmony. Though we bickered and were annoyed with each other at times, those times never lasted for very long. I mean- we share a room barely the size of mine at home. And it's not just our bedroom- it's everything. Sometimes we got sick of each other, but who wouldn't when you are around another human so much? The important thing is that we always worked through it, and were back to our normal selves together in no time.

Thank you for being you. Whether we keep in touch or it has been a while, I want you to know I appreciate you, and I am so glad you walked into my life. I will never have another friendship quite like yours again, and I am thankful. Friends like you only come around once in a lifetime.

Love,

Yours Truly