An Open Letter To My Mother: Here Are The Things I Should Have Told You Sooner | The Odyssey Online

An Open Letter To My Mother: Here Are The Things I Should Have Told You Sooner

I can say with sincerity that I didn't know true love until I realized how much you've done for me while expecting nothing in return.

63
An Open Letter To My Mother:  Here Are The Things I Should Have Told You Sooner
Taylor O'Hara

Dear Mom,

There aren't enough words in my vocabulary for me to express my most sincere gratitude to you, but I'm going to try regardless because you deserve the kindest words that I can offer. You've been there for me every step of the way. I regret not showing you my appreciation sooner, but I'm willing to spend the rest of my life making up for it, I want to prove to you that I'm thankful to have you as my Mom. Now that I'm older, I can look back and appreciate all of the sacrifices you made for me. You've always taken care of me even if it meant that you had to go without. I never realized it growing up, but looking back I remember you always taking me school shopping to get new clothes or books while you wore the same pair of shoes you've had for years. You put me first always, without hesitation. We never had a lot of money, but I always had everything I needed and that's because of your unconditional selflessness. You worked long hours and late night shifts, never complaining or feeling sorry for yourself, and I'm sure it wasn't easy but you did it. From a young age in order to know strength and hard work, all I had to do was look at you.

Our relationship has been transforming ever since I could remember. You brought me into this world and watched me take my first breath. I came two months early and probably took you by surprise but you stayed at the hospital with me every day for a month until my lungs developed and I was strong enough to come home. You've been right by my side ever since. You watched me take my first clumsy steps in our small home, and when I stumbled you always kept me steady. You've been to every parent teacher conference, field day, choir concert, and school play. You stood by me through every heartbreak, every disappointment that I've ever had. Whenever I feel like the world is closing in on me, there is no voice I'd rather hear than yours to reassure me. I know that I can call you in the middle of the night and you'll come running, whatever I need. Even when I didn't deserve it, you've always loved me with your whole heart.

Now that I'm older, I realize now more than ever how special the bond that we share is. I wish I could take back all of the things I said or did during my teen angst. I wish I would have said I love you more, I know that I can say it now, but I wish that I could take away all of the hurt I caused you when I thought I knew everything. Every slammed door, every eye roll or sigh, every argument where I was more concerned with being right than realizing that I was hurting my best friend. Mom, I can say with sincerity that I didn't know true love until I realized how much you've done for me while expecting nothing in return, and I'm sorry that I haven't told you how much I appreciate you sooner. I'm going to make more of an effort to be there for you like you've always been there for me. I've done a lot of growing up in the past few years, and though I'm still figuring things out in the whirlwind of my twenties, I feel at ease knowing you're by my side. You're my best friend, and I will spend every moment letting you know how much I cherish that friendship. We're entering this beautiful space where you're learning how to let go and I'm realizing why you had to hold on so tightly in the first place. I owe it all to you, Mom, every accomplishment, every milestone, every achievement that I've made is a result of you being the best parent and friend I could ask for.