Ohio Governor Set To Announce Presidential Candidacy | The Odyssey Online

Ohio Governor Set To Announce Presidential Candidacy

A closer look At John Kasich

8
Image courtesy of ibtimes.com

To those of us who are native Ohioans, the name John Kasich should be familiar. He's only been our governor for the past five years, and earlier this week he announced that he has raised over $11 million for his presidential campaign, which hasn't been officially announced yet. Kasich, a Republican known to occasionally blur party lines, plans to announce this upcoming week that he will enter the GOP, Republication National Committee, fray as the 17th official presidential candidate. So, with such a huge decision looming, let's get to know the man who's been running Ohio for the past five years, and who may end up ultimately running the country for the next four.

What does he do well?

Smarter spending and the economy. In today's day and age, this is a good thing. Kasich managed to cut Ohio's budget shortfall without raising taxes for citizens; he also managed to trim the income tax by 10 percent (see: more cash in citizens' wallets) and generate over 300,000 new jobs in the Buckeye State, cutting unemployment nearly in half.

What doesn't he do well?

Pro-choice. Kasich has made Ohio one of the hardest states to get an abortion in, unless the woman is a victim of rape or incest. He sharply cut funding for Planned Parenthood, and is a staunch opponent of federal funding for abortion centers. He's also against the legalization of marijuana, but feels that states should be able to decide for themselves if they want to legalize the drug. Just don't expect his state to.

What else has he done?

Kasich increased funding for K-12 education to its highest level in Ohio history, so that's good. If you're an Ohio high schooler looking to go to a charter school, Kasich made it possible for you to keep your state aid educational grants. He has championed legislation that ties teacher pay to performance, and he also expanded Medicaid coverage through Obamacare funding. As a representative of Ohio's 12th Congressional district, Kasich voted against implementing parts of the Kyoto Protocol proposed in 1997, which would have allowed the EPA to enact certain regulations without Congress' approval. However, Kasich feels elected officials should spend more time working with community leaders to address their respective energy concerns.

Could he win?

He could certainly make it interesting. $11.5 million before he's even officially entered the race is no joke, and Kasich's reputation as a "Republican only in name" could appeal to a broad voter base. His fiscal policy, prudent spending ways, and firm pro-life stance can appeal to conservatives, while his opposition to marijuana legalization, not-so-green-thumbs, and belief that we needs troops on the ground to defeat ISIS may turn off more moderate voters (like college kids). It's a tough job running a swing state like Ohio, but Kasich's unique personality and proven track record could make him as interesting a candidate as there is for the GOP (even though they have, like, 40). It's a wide open race, but John Kasich is definitely a name to remember.