'Sisters In Law': A New Take on Reality TV? | The Odyssey Online

'Sisters In Law': A New Take on Reality TV?

Because there is such as thing as too much drama?

20

I'm not really someone who will religiously follow a reality television show nowadays. I was never really able to watch them everyday anyways, since I lived overseas for the majority of my life. Regardless, I'll watch some when I see it on, such as "America's Next Top Model" or "Project Runway" reruns, anything on HGTV, the Food Network, and maybe "The Real Housewives of Atlanta" on Bravo.

As someone who isn't a religious reality TV fan, sometimes I get sick and tired of it because I am constantly bombarded with negative stereotypes about women. Like the New York Times put it, there's “The Slut” whose sexual agency we’re meant to condemn; “The Catty Backstabber” who can’t be trusted; “The Weepy Waif” desperately competing over female beauty or male booty; “The Angry Black Woman” always a hair-trigger away from verbal or physical violence; “The Gold-Digger” supposedly more mercenary than the networks pimping her persona; and then “The Dumb Bimbo” incompetent at work, at home, and even at remedial grammar and math.

In some shows, women are subordinate and rarely the main characters, such as the popular show "The Bachelor". Other shows with women posed as main characters, glorify them as "dim-witted, culturally attractive and ill-motivated" but happen to be some of the richest people, such as in the show "Keeping up with the Kardashians". Another popular aspect of reality television deals with "normal and everyday" housewives. Real Housewives shows are quite popular despite the fact that they produce female frenemies and expect girl fights. In many ways, reality TV rarely ever glorifies a woman's success as her own and follows her struggles as she tries to balance her work and social life.

But, it's about that time for new television shows to premiere and one in particular is supposedly doing exactly that and changing the face of reality TV. It's called "Sisters in Law" and it is a television show that "mixes '48 Hours' with 'Real Housewives'".

"Sisters in Law" premieres March 24 on WE tv and is set in Houston, Texas where six African American women: Juanita Jackson, Jolanda Jones, Vivian King, Rhonda Wills, Monique Payne and Tiye Foley, practice civil and crime law as well as balance their personal lives and friendships. "It combines the drama we like in a reality show and the grit of reality. We have crazy and interesting lives," says Jackson. It was picked up by producer Stacey McClain of OWN's "Raising Whitley" and eventually picked up by Collins Avenue Productions (producers of "Dance Moms") after a successful trailer was shot.

We're so used to seeing reality TV promote nonsensical drama between women and degrade each other with cat-fights, manipulation, and gossip. But this television shows really puts a focus on the challenges these African American women face in the field of law and not only how much that affects their professional lives, but their personal ones as well. Luckily for us, Juanita Jackson has informed that "there's no hair pulling or throwing drinks in each other's faces [because] we aren't that kind of women." But realistically, as there are six successful women in the show, there will be some drama and head-butting, but it should still be interesting.

Here's to waiting...