My Top 5 Guilty Pleasure Shows

My Top 5 Guilty Pleasure Shows

Netflix...Netflix...Netflix...

24
My Top 5 Guilty Pleasure Shows
Those Guilty Pleasure Shows

Everyone has those television shows that you simply love to hate, but love to watch. You know the ones about the man giving out a rose destined to be handed out to his hopeful princess or the over the top all too "real"-istic family that we cannot help but katch up (excuse the pun and the misspelling) with week after week no matter how many syndications or reruns.

I have to admit as someone who could watch certain television shows over and over, I have learned over the years that I keep coming back to certain shows. For some viewers, they might be a little outdated but I think they will continue to be on my "To Watch" list long after American Idol reruns.

Before I start the list of guilty pleasure shows I will always go back to I want to acknowledge that this list is in no particular order. I love them all and their characters equally.

1. The Twilight Zone (1959-1964)

This show is and always will be my favorite show of all time simply because Rod Serling and his writers subconsciously brewed the writer I am today. Without the surrealist and psychological thriller genre existing then I would not have been able to feel as comfortable with the genre. This television show has always captivated me with the plot twists, character development, and the script from episode after episode. I often think about the first time that I watched my first New Year's Eve marathon and I am happy to say I have yet to miss a single one since I was twelve. I am proud to say that ringing in my New Year does not involve waiting for a ball to drop.

2. Tony Awards (1946-present)

Regardless if I am watching the acceptance speeches for Best Score or just that year's best of Broadway, I find myself mesmerized of the sheer love of the theater community has for one another. As someone who never acted or participated in theater (other than the one time 2nd grade performance as the Fairy Godmother in Cinderella), but actively supported every person that was part of the productions I find this community something to be a part of one day. I am not saying I want a Tony (even though it would be pretty cool to have one sitting on the mantle. A conversation starter mostly), but the idea that this community can be so moved and positive for everyone in the room is heartwarming. I watch past shows because it allows me to feel free. They allow me to escape into dozens of different times, dimensions, eras, and regions all from the comfort of my own television or computer. This type of global and universal escapism could not and will never be replaced with the Miss Universe or Miss World pageants just so we are clear.

3. Boy Meets World (1993-2000)

Do I really need to say more? I am and always be a nineties kid. I love Corey. I love Topanga. I love Mr. Feeny. I love Sean. I love Eric. These characters are and always hold a special place in my heart. They became my laugh machine and my first let me grab a box of tissues because I have never finished a series before. Yes, I cried when Mr. Feeny said his infamous lines, "Believe in yourselves, dream, try, do good...I love you all.Class dismissed." This is the show we watched and still watch on Netflix because we cannot just forget the Feeny call or Topanga and Corey's interpretative dance with the lipstick. I watch for memories of friends I knew I could always go back to and catch up with as if nothing really changed.

4. Warehouse 13 (2009-2014)

This is the show that made me want to continue being a nerd. This is the show I watched with my dad and will continue to watch with my dad because it brought us closer together. It brought us to tears when it was over and it brought us to a place in our relationship where I know we would not be the same without the unconditional love of Pete, Myka, Artie, Claudia, Jinx, H.G., and Mrs. Fredrick. I am forever grateful for each of them as actors and people for giving these characters life on and off the page. Please know your passion for this community will not be forgotten nor blamed. You and your show's crew ignited a conversation and for that I thank you.

5. Unsolved Mysteries (1987-2014)

This show is the one I watched as soon as I came home from school. I would throw my backpack down in the kitchen and chuck my lunch box somewhere near there. I would pull up the closest couch cushion to the screen waiting for the infamous intro to stop playing so I can try to solve a mystery. I am not quite sure if my young self ever really believed I would be the one to crack the case, but I still have hope that there will be one day all the case would not be a mystery anymore. Maybe one day, I will watch and there will be updates across the bottom of the screen and I don't have to worry or wonder what ever happened.