My First Week with the Electric Vehicle

My First Week with the Electric Vehicle

How I learned to love the sound of silence

8
My First Week with the Electric Vehicle
Own Author

Although upset it was time to dish out some of that sweet lettuce for a new (to me) car, I am quite happy I made the change. So far, all of the worries and fear that was put into me about purchasing a full electric vehicle left with the need to go to gas stations.

At first, I was worried about range, with only being able to drive a little under 100 miles before having to recharge, but it is when this new need comes up, that you realize “who the heck drives that far one way every day, and immediately turns around?”. I have found on average I am able to go a day and a half before recharging, and even then, it is done at my convenience. An example would be; I drive every day to my school that is roughly 20 miles away from where I live. Even with this distance being an everyday thing, I realize I only need to charge every other day. And with the perk of having a free electricity supply from school to recharge, and the same from the library that I frequent, it isn’t even out of my way. I find that when I arrive at these destinations, I already spend a couple of hours studying, or catching up on some work, so that by the time I feel done and ready to leave, it is back up to charge, and I am ready to move!

Now onto another thing; traffic. Now when I used to drive through boring traffic, it used to be a pain but, for some reason now it’s not. Maybe it is because of the lack of noise from where the engine was, or just that electric cars use less energy at slower speeds, but I don’t feel like I am in a rush to get places. This might also be because you get used to feeling as if you are going slower than you actually are, because while I am keeping pace with the people on the highway, it feels like everybody is just going at a turtle’s pace. Not to say I am a speed demon, just without engine feedback my brain says, “maybe just a little more, I can’t hear anything?”.

Other than those two interesting experiences, I have grown to love the car, and the free transport that would ordinarily cost me around $20.00 a week! (which I can now appropriately use on food). I firmly believe electric cars are the way of the future, and with charging stations popping up, left and right, it is a wonder how there aren’t more people who do. With cheaper options starting at $30,000, and tax credits of up to $7,500 for next year’s electric cars that will have a range of around 200 miles, Nissan, Tesla, and Chevy will be rolling out a new line of electric vehicles to fit the average consumer.

So I welcome anybody looking to make the change as it has not treated me bad, although it might be too soon to say, but for the price and condition I received mine, I am thoroughly happy with my purchase. Until it is the norm, I don’t mind working out the few bugs it might have, and can’t wait to see what new innovation will come from this reviving market.